Hydraulic splitters and PTO Pumps

Billy

I'm looking at a few Defenders at present with PTO hydraulic pumps with power take off for various tools... Now I'm thinking log splitter like the nice 10t ones quite prevelant on eBay for £500 ish.

However I'm finding it nigh on impossible to find out what sort of pressure and flow rate these require does anyone know and or run one off a defender...or just general advice on what size splitter can be sensibly run off a PTO pump set up on aTD5 Defender

I'm looking at a few Defenders at present with PTO hydraulic pumps with power take off for various tools... Now I'm thinking log splitter like the nice 10t ones quite prevelant on eBay for £500 ish.

However I'm finding it nigh on impossible to find out what sort of pressure and flow rate these require does anyone know and or run one off a defender...or just general advice on what size splitter can be sensibly run off a PTO pump set up on aTD5 Defender

Pumps and systems is a mix and match affair, trying to source a splitter that will suit the pump you eventually get will be a chore but be of good faith, pick the splitter you want and if the pump that comes with the rover won't run it, simply swap the pump for one that will. It's a simple job and the pump will cost hundreds rather than thousands.

As far as pressure and flow goes, if the machine is a proprietary manufacture, they will be able to tell you the system requirements, if its a diy'er you would need to know the size of the ram. Suffice to say that most splitters are built to suit the output and flow of a tractor and getting that out of a land rover PTO won't be hard.

One would to perhaps consider hyd oil capacity and hyd oil cooling.

Though more a problem if driving a hyd motor as opposed to a single ram

I dd at one time price up a PTO(tractor 6 spline type) for the DB 1490 to get 300 bar for a linkage mounted crane.

Only a wheen o hundred, but one minor bollocks was the oil supply/resovoir location, otherwise a no-brainer.

As stated above its all down to available pressure and flow rates. You could possibly fit a 2 stage flow rate pump if you intend mainly using it to power a log splitter.

Personally I'd buy a self powered splitter and save the fuel costs of the disco.

Below is a link to some calculation utilities that may help you and others.

Baum Hydraulics Corp :: Spec Calculator

Edited by zzr1200