Burning dead wood

Lancstree

I'm new to wood burning having recently installed a fire and I'm wondering what the convention is on burning dead wood. Does dead wood still need to season or can some be burned immediately if it is clean and dry. I have access to some timbers that have been left in big lengths on a grassy and gravelly surface for a couple of years and I'm hoping this will see me through this winter until my split stuff seasons for next year. Any recommendations or advice?

these timbers are in a rough pile so some are not in contact with the ground. I would imagine this would help to season them. I was splitting some dead alder today that came over in last weeks gales. Some of it split really clean and other bits frothed up around the axe on contact so to be on the safe side I'll season it all.

I'm new to wood burning having recently installed a fire and I'm wondering what the convention is on burning dead wood. Does dead wood still need to season or can some be burned immediately if it is clean and dry. I have access to some timbers that have been left in big lengths on a grassy and gravelly surface for a couple of years and I'm hoping this will see me through this winter until my split stuff seasons for next year. Any recommendations or advice?

If its been laying on grass, it will be saturated, but it will soon dry out as long as you keep it off the ground (on pallets etc) . Dont worry about covering it up, if its layed for 2 years it will be well seasoned whatever type of trees they are. However if they are a soft wood , they maybe past their best as they have been laying in a wet field, cut some in half and check as you may be drying rubbish.

But oak dead wood, fresh from the canopy is great :)

There is no better firewood IMO:thumbup:

As far as stacked stuff or laid around on the floor, most of it will just be water if its been felled for two years.

I would say if you get it sawn and split now, leave it in an open area where plenty of wind can get through it, and cover it it will be dry enough by xmas. Dont make big piles of split stuff though, the wind will dry small heaps quicker:thumbup: