Glen Farrow boiler smokey

Celtictimber

Any one else on here have a glen farrow biomass log boiler find it very smokey or not. Let me know how you find your ours just seems to smoke 80% of the time.

Thanks Grant

I'm not familiar with the boiler you mentioned but I run a couple of larger chip boilers. Smoke is normally due to not enough secondary air in relation to the primary air. Incomplete combustion of the volatile gasses driven off, increase secondary or reduce primary whichever suits the output you require.

I'm not familiar with the boiler you mentioned but I run a couple of larger chip boilers. Smoke is normally due to not enough secondary air in relation to the primary air. Incomplete combustion of the volatile gasses driven off, increase secondary or reduce primary whichever suits the output you require.

Or wet fuel causing low fire box temperatures and incomplete combustion, IME.

dryer feedstock.

smaller pieces in boiler. but not too small or too big.

burns cleaner with hardwoods.

Thanks for your input. I'm burning kiln dried oak beam offcuts. Some days it smoke worse than others but even on the good days there always seem to be a constant small plume.

Do you have a gf boiler yourself?

Thanks for your input. I'm burning kiln dried oak beam offcuts. Some days it smoke worse than others but even on the good days there always seem to be a constant small plume.

What colour smoke and what is the flue gas temperature as it leaves the boiler?

sure do.

oak worst wood you can burn.

especially if summer felled. tar and tannin.

mix with silver birch and or sycamore .

fan speed 5 at most.

The secondary air vents are too low on the Gf boiler to provide effective secondary air. The vents need to be above the fuel which then really limits the amount of fuel you can load. I suspect your flue is clear towards the end of the fuel cycle ? Try keeping the fuel below the vents on the sides and stack it up just a tad in the middle. As suggested keeping the fan setting low will help reduce the smoke but it will also reduce heat output.

The secondary air vents are too low on the Gf boiler to provide effective secondary air. The vents need to be above the fuel which then really limits the amount of fuel you can load. I suspect your flue is clear towards the end of the fuel cycle ? Try keeping the fuel below the vents on the sides and stack it up just a tad in the middle. As suggested keeping the fan setting low will help reduce the smoke but it will also reduce heat output.

Hi Duffryn

Thanks for your input.

When you say secondary air input are you talking about the two side boxes that the fan pushes air through? And then am I right in thinking that the primary air in put is the bigger box section running up the middle on the floor.

Does anyone manage to burn these effectively without any smoke. It's quite odd some days it's smokes a lot and then others hardly not so much.

Thanks Grant

Sounds like it might even be something to do with wind or some other factor affecting the flue draw. Could this affect your secondary air input and cause your smoke. If your secondary air input is too low why not feed some in higher. Probably not difficult job and I expect it would improve your problem.

Primary air under the fire , secondary over it