Moving logs

Lloyd--

I am interested in moving small quantities of fire wood for my own use as my house is heated by a mixture of oil and wood / coal

The cheapest ( I know it might not be best value but funds are very tight) would appear to be to buy logs or saw mill off cuts (as link) and move them back to my house about 25 miles, st clears to haverfordwest west wales (doing it after work only add 17 miles to my commute

Option1

Find some one to move 4 cube at a time, if anyone has any idea if how much this would cost or anyone who could do this (probably twice a year but not guaranteed)

Option 2

Use a trailer and car to tow 1 cube at a time - issue is that I only have a small 6x4 trailer and can only carry 750kg how much dry seasoned softwood am I Likely to be able to move with this set up

I know there are a lot of variables but any help anyone could offer would be great

Thanks

Lloyd

Ebay items

Or

Lloyd, you illustrate a common problem for home owners looking for cheap logs. The first link you put up on ebay isn't logs but kindling. The second looks good value but don't wish to mess around unless you buy 4 cuM at a time. So you simply need to get someone to quote for transport. Softwood could work well for you though so I'd explore that option.

Ok thanks for your help

Just out if interest if in trying to find someone to move it for me

1. What sort of weight would I be looking at 4 cube??

2. Does anyone know of anyone who wants to move 4 cube in Pembrokeshire and how much would they charge??

3. Are there any suppliers of soft wood in Pembrokeshire

Cheers

Lloyd

If you have the means of cutting wood at home. Say chop saw. You might consider slab wood from the saw mill rather than or as well as offcuts. No saw mills closer? Most would be happy to sell you slab wood at a very reasonable price. Especially if you can tidy up the waste. I used slab wood for many years and it burns well. Small pieces no splitting, dries quickly and cheap.

Thanks for the help!! Well slab wood sounds very good as I have a chop saw

How much would you pay for the slab wood? What sort of lengths does slab wood come in??

Cheers

Lloyd

It comes in lengths that they were cutting that day, and if you can spirit away the waste from a mill it probably wont cost much, if they have to store/move/handle it then they will want something for it.

I used to get quite a bit, and reckoned it was worth £10 / tonne because it dries so well.

If you can saw at home and are not worried about having regular shaped logs then your on a winner.