Xmas Tree Not Well Make It Smile Again

SLOPPY

Hi all, this is my first time to the forum so many thanks for having me.

What's brought me here is that I've noticed my tree at the front of my house doesn't look very happy (pictures below). I know nothing about trees but this I can only best describe as a xmas tree though I'm guessing it's probably got some proper name in gardening terms.

The tree is about 15 years old and lives in Manchester, early last year I decided to lop the top of it since it was growing far to high however, I think in doing this the tree has since caught some fungi of some description because on one side all the branches have started to go brown and the needles are dropping off leaving a carpet of them on my lawn.

I have also notice the bark on the tree has cracks appearing although I'm not sure if this has always been the case.

I love my tree and would very much like to do all I can to bring it's smile back and I dearly hope that you folks on here can offer me some of your expert advice.

Many thanks in advance:001_tongue:

20140714_154605_zps69c99906.jpg

20140714_154642_zpsf12a3598.jpg

Yeh did take perhaps a little to much off the top, made the mistake of listening to my Dad lol.

Just had another look at the trunk, appears ok, few cracks here and there, bark feels dry no weeping. It's weird because it's mostly one side that is affected.

Should I just put plenty of water down for now and see how it goes as since its summer perhaps it has been dryer than I thought.

Also mulching, what does that involve being as the tree is surrounded by lawn, sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks for your replies.

Yeh did take perhaps a little to much off the top, made the mistake of listening to my Dad lol.

Just had another look at the trunk, appears ok, few cracks here and there, bark feels dry no weeping. It's weird because it's mostly one side that is affected.

Should I just put plenty of water down for now and see how it goes as since its summer perhaps it has been dryer than I thought.

Also mulching, what does that involve being as the tree is surrounded by lawn, sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks for your replies.

wind damage :confused1: