Best harness for back support?

arbaholic

Ive got to replace my old harness (dragonfly). Overall i was happy with it but d rings for side strop got abit pinchy at times and belt buckle loosened after a while which was a nuisance so fancy something new.

Main thing for me is back support. You need your back so im trying to look after it as best as i can.

I looked at the willans with sliding bridge. Bit old school but its a good solid harness. Tree flex sounds good aswell

I know in the end ill have to try them out and see which one suits me best whats good for one isnt another but im interested in peoples opinions of harnesses and back support.

Cheers :001_cool:

Climbed on a Willans and Petzyl before but I'm now on a Skylotec. Nice harness, comfortable but the stitching comes off around the leg loops and I can't see why they couldn't put the clips on the leg loops as well as the waist belt. Other than that it's a good harness. Had problems with the Petzyl with the D rings for side strop being too far back and you had to hunt for them but on the Kolibri they are within easy reach. Having said all that; a mate of mine had the tree motion and reckoned it was the dog dangleys. He's now been given a Buckingham and hates it.

Thats good news about the weaver as that was a harness i was considering aswell. Its on the better end of the price scale as well :001_smile: Id go for the seated one, those leg loops look a little too narrow to be comfortable.

Whats clumsy about it? Ive read that people get snagged while working through the crown in them but i thought that could happen to you in any harness?

Cheers andrew but ive got to choose one by thursday. Theres still a chance i could get one though. if so we will rant about how great they are next week. lol

Are you going to Capel this Friday/Saturday, if you are I'll have most of the harnesses there. If you pop along I'll sort you out a tree to hang in and give them a test.

We find most people with back problems like the Skylotec or the Weaver.

If you can try before you buy i would definitely try the leg looped weaver as its good for when you need to spread the legs a little, i found the seat would hurt my hips and you just cant get any stretch with your legs. Weaver is king of back support in my opinion love it on a set of spikes.

Ive got to replace my old harness (dragonfly). Overall i was happy with it but d rings for side strop got abit pinchy at times and belt buckle loosened after a while which was a nuisance so fancy something new.

Main thing for me is back support. You need your back so im trying to look after it as best as i can.

I looked at the willans with sliding bridge. Bit old school but its a good solid harness. Tree flex sounds good aswell

I know in the end ill have to try them out and see which one suits me best whats good for one isnt another but im interested in peoples opinions of harnesses and back support.

Cheers :001_cool:

austria duo 2,,, i no a climber who broke his back twice and still climbs, his harness, the duo 2 with the seat attachtchment

I have to say as far as the back issue is concerned I've had no issues with the skylotec. It's got a heap of back support. Also, with the postioning of the D rings etc it seems to put less pressure on the back when hanging in the harness. I wouldn't go for a seat again though. They seem to squeeze up under pressure and start to crush the hips. Heaps more comfy in the leg loops, which also have a fair bit of padding on the skylotec. They just need a bit of adjusting to get them right.

I only say clumsy about the weaver as it has big heavy leather straps on the legs, and big buckles etc etc. Fine in the tree, excellent for spiking, has 2 sliding D's etc etc, but once you get our of the tree its a proper PITA. I find I can walk about easily in the treemotion, and hardly know its there. The weaver is heavy in comparison too, but like I say, the back support is almost incomparable. I only really changed because I felt like splashing out on a fancy harness, then tried one on and was persuaded by it....but then I feel old now and think I need a bit of pampering lol!