Double Esterlon vs. Portland Braid

Big 'Ammer

I'm after a new 16mm - 5/8" lowering rope.

I have always used D E and been happy with it.

Bearing in mind the obvious strength differences, P B with a safety factor of 9.1 is fairly close to D E with a safety factor of 10.1

That's still a good margin.

A lot of places are selling P B as well now and I was wondering what, in actual practice, the differences are.

P B is about 2/3 the price.

How does it wear in comparison to D E?

Who's used both?

Are there any other alternatives worth considering?

Cheers, Nige. :001_smile:

I have used some 19mm DE briefly and it felt fairly supple and nice to use

I own some 13mm Portland braid and have been pleased with it, it's SWL works out about 600kg ish and I've dropped lumps of a decent size on it. Knots well and feels nice in your hand. Not too rough but not as smooth as D E

Having used both I would always go with DE unless you are on a specific budget. My theorie is based upon the fact that the extra strength is there if you need/want to utilise it and if money isnt the issue then why would you want to go for a "cheaper option". DE is more expensive for a reason. However PB is a very capable rope and you would be hard pressed under normal circumstances to exceed the limit. Surely.

Having used both I would always go with DE unless you are on a specific budget. My theorie is based upon the fact that the extra strength is there if you need/want to utilise it and if money isnt the issue then why would you want to go for a "cheaper option". DE is more expensive for a reason. However PB is a very capable rope and you would be hard pressed under normal circumstances to exceed the limit. Surely.

Well, that's my thinking really.

If P B is 2/3 the price but only lasts 1/2 as long, its false economy.

The work I have had from the past two D E ropes has made them very cheap pieces of arb gear.

Well' date=' that's my thinking really.

If P B is 2/3 the price but only lasts 1/2 as long, its false economy.

The work I have had from the past two D E ropes has made them very cheap pieces of arb gear.[/quote']

Problem solved. Thread over. Ha.

:lol:

if you can justify DE get it

the cost of it failing or wishing you had or even just he faith will save you the time and money.

portland does seem ok but I want strength and durability more than a few quid and as you say it will make you loads of money:thumbup:

if you can justify DE get it

the cost of it failing or wishing you had or even just he faith will save you the time and money.

portland does seem ok but I want strength and durability more than a few quid and as you say it will make you loads of money:thumbup:

DE it is then Nigel. Get your wallet out. Haha