My HGV Thread

roseyweb

So transits are great for carrying tools and towing your caravan but not much else and tired of dodging a merciless sodomising from the Vosa man at the weighbridge I'm getting a lorry.

I've got my class 1, my operators licence is in the post and am browsing ebay and truck trader, but what I can't get my head around is the variation in prices.

a 18 tonner with a crane can be bought for around £8,500 which is a lot of lorry for not much money. But probably to big for most applications. (we do mostly commercial but still need to get into tight spots)

Where by what I would like is a 12 tonner which is a nice size and good weight with a crane. But its a lot less lorry and seem to cost more at around £12k

So whats everyone's opinion on good makes and sizes? or what are people running?

I like the look of this but has been for sale a while so might be there asking to much as I would still like to swap the clamshell for a timber grab and re paint and line it.

59766f775d734_800(1).jpg.7e54c9bd048a3684e6ecf351dcc65476.jpg

59766f7760276_800(2).jpg.476f27528c0fd56a966b284ecfcd934b.jpg

59766f7762815_800(3).jpg.105acc72f97571adb35075721b331126.jpg

800.jpg.7fe237efbf71c72db44c4f3ac158a580.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's mostly down to supply and demand, the vast majority of rigids are 7.5, 18, 26, or 32 tonnes depending on the number of axles.

There are a few 10/12/14/15 tonners out there but only a handful by comparison.

Not a big fan of front mount cranes but it's better than no crane, putting wide wheels and tyres on the front will help if you want to drive it on grass, go up to 385s if you can.

It's mostly down to supply and demand, the vast majority of rigids are 7.5, 18, 26, or 32 tonnes depending on the number of axles.

There are a few 10/12/14/15 tonners out there but only a handful by comparison.

Not a big fan of front mount cranes but it's better than no crane, putting wide wheels and tyres on the front will help if you want to drive it on grass, go up to 385s if you can.

Thanks peter, I can only find two 12tonners on the whole internet.

Is your view on the crane that if its at the back you can load trailers or have more working area?

Do you think the price is right for that one I put pics up of?

You can load a trailer, reverse up a drive and load from behind, feed a chipper, reverse up to a tree and lift sections straight off. Also the weight distribution is better, especially when the lorry is empty. All trucks have the engine and gearbox sat on the front axle, if you add the crane onto that as well the front tyres will just sink straight in.

In an ideal world is have a 12 tipper and an 18 tonne drawbar rig, flat with removalable pins on the lorry, and skeletal and beavertail trailers.

I think my rig is a good compromise for a one vehicle set up.

+1 on the 385`s fitted to the front axle, just make sure you fit the spray suppression whiskers round the arch if the wheel is within an inch of outside of the truck. After many years of a pass this was picked up on at a test and given a fail, fitted the whiskers and all was well.

How about an urban artic with a crane behind the cab and a few trailers like tipper,timber and plant. One of those is shorter than a landrover and trailer of the same size and will bend in anywhere a lot easier than a rigid. Just thoughts.

Bob

+1 on the 385`s fitted to the front axle, just make sure you fit the spray suppression whiskers round the arch if the wheel is within an inch of outside of the truck. After many years of a pass this was picked up on at a test and given a fail, fitted the whiskers and all was well.

How about an urban artic with a crane behind the cab and a few trailers like tipper,timber and plant. One of those is shorter than a landrover and trailer of the same size and will bend in anywhere a lot easier than a rigid. Just thoughts.

Bob

Its a great idea but I would like to tow a meaty chipper too, also I only passed my Class1 in summer so need to build up some experience for insurance.

I was getting quotes of 2-3k for that rig, trust came in at just over a grand so big thumbs up for them

Its a great idea but I would like to tow a meaty chipper too, also I only passed my Class1 in summer so need to build up some experience for insurance.

I was getting quotes of 2-3k for that rig, trust came in at just over a grand so big thumbs up for them

On the fleetplan the artic with three trailers is the same money to insure as the landrovers, anydriver @ about £1500 a year.

Bob