transit banana engine advice....

stewie

Need a new clutch on my convoy and it's smoking quite bad (black smoke) when under stress so im thinking piston ring?? It's also an old engine and it don't perform as good as any of the transits/convoys I've had in the past so I'm going to put a new engine in to solve everything in one job! So my two options are an engine out a van I knew well but has done over 150,000 miles lol OR I found out a friend of a friends dad had someone smash into the back off him while driving a 7 month old transit 16 yrs ago so he scrapped the rest but kept the engine, box and starter etc in his garage and it's not moved since!! It had apparently only done 16,000 miles but my worries are because it's been stood for 16 years!! Either engine is going to cost me £150 to get put in and I'd only like to pay once! I'm tempted by the "new" one cause of the low miles and it's shiny so must be rare to find now lol but with it being stood so long is best to use an engine I know will fire up and drive start away??? Any help appreciated :thumbup:

you will need to change the timing belt for sure,while at it do the water pump,and belt idlers,take the box off and strip off the clutch,it will be stuck/rusted to the flywheel,so will save problems later on,change the filters,fuel esp,make sure it turns over,just hope the fuel pump has not dried out to much and siezed up,16yrs is a long time to sit,diesels tend to suffer more because of the pump

you will need to change the timing belt for sure,while at it do the water pump,and belt idlers,take the box off and strip off the clutch,it will be stuck/rusted to the flywheel,so will save problems later on,change the filters,fuel esp,make sure it turns over,just hope the fuel pump has not dried out to much and siezed up,16yrs is a long time to sit,diesels tend to suffer more because of the pump

Cheers for that :thumbup1: so you'd go with one you have seen running? ?

I've always been told black!! What will black be then?? It's literally only when it's struggling never does it any other time!!

Black smoke means it's working hard, blue smoke will be piston rings, worn turbo if it has one or valve stem seals if it's on the over run !...

Course the black smoke could be due to poor servicing (clogged fuel/air filters) or some bodies turned the fuel pump up (more poke) so I would suggest a good thorough service and run some injector cleaner through the fuel system for a couple of tank fills and see how it goes first, the problem with buying an engine that's been stood for a good few years is that the seals and belts could very well need replacing and probably will that and if it's been left with the old/used oil in it then the main bearing shells could also need doing before to long as used oil turns acidic over time which will eat away at the phosphor linings 'take heed, you have been warned' other than that the choice is yours !...:thumbup1: