262xp with 18" bar - what size chain?

Quickthorn

I picked up a 262xp a while ago. The bar's some sort of Oregon replaceable nose, 18" and the 3/8" chain on it has 64 drive links. I want to order more chain, plus a loop of ripping chain which will also be used on a 390xp with 18" bar. The only thing is, everything else (262xp owner's manual, owner of the 390xp) is telling me that I need a loop with 68 links, not 64 like the one fitted to my 262xp. Even my 357xp manual says 68 links on an 18" bar for 3/8" chain. Any ideas which one I need?

Clue: the bar I have has been hacked at the powerhead end, with oil holes drilled out into slots etc.:confused1:.makes me think this bar has been bodged to fit.

bar length is a funny old thing...

oregon make a number of different 18" bars and they are all a slightly different length. i have a few 18" small mount husky bars(262xp size) ranging from about 16 1/2"-18 1/25"... the 18"ers oregon make for dolmar tend to be shorter than the husky ones...

or yours could have been cut down, it should be pretty obvious, post a pic if youre not sure

This is the best picture I can take with the camera i've got. Although you can't see much, there seem to be 2 sets of tension adjuster pin holes. I don't know if that's normal on Oregon bars (never seen it before), but the ones on the right look bodged; the oil hole at the bottom looks like it's been altered with a hand held drill and twist drill..the picture doesn't really show what a mess it is.

I'm wondering if this bar's meant for a Stihl, and it's been hacked to fit the 262.

oregonbar.jpg.7e6455b49d2ce8cdb2ecc866fd7bd83c.jpg

Whats the part no. embossed on the bar Quickthorn?

we've got "7719", then "1858 134OUJ"; the last one's probably the part number. It is a power match replaceable nose bar.

Looking again, if the tensioner pin went into the back hole, a 68 link loop would probably fit. I wonder if someone before me drilled extra holes to get their 64 link loops to fit??:confused1: