Axe felling today

leswold

For 'fun' used an axe on a 13" dia windblown oak. Never having done this before & being unable to borrow something suitable I got a 70cm/1.2kg Stihl pruning axe. Half an hour & much sweat later it was down, altho' it did go the opposite way:blushing:but no harm done as it was in woodland I manage. Should've cut much higher, chest height but it was a good workout & next time maybe something heavier, to bite deeper.

Anyone else daft enough?

I'm daft enough, although it is usually for demo purposes. Last one was quite small, only just over 6" dia. Location was a pain though for swinging a felling axe so used my smaller Forest Axe instead. I was really pleased when the tree went down in the right direction. All though the tree was due to come down, I was challenged to take it down with an axe.

One of the lasting memories of my father was him showing me how to fell a tree with an axe. I still have the smaller than average axe I used to this day along with his patchhook. I renewed the handles on both a few years ago, and my son and I still use the patch hook when trimming out our firewood. I think I might take the axe out and repeat the lesson with my son. He appreciates the quality of his grandfathers old patch hook so I think he would enjoy using the axe as well. I must give it the once over on the oil stone first though.

I first started felling trees with an axe when I was about 7, in the woods with my dad. He also used to take my scouts felling trees in the same woods with a couple of axes when I was about 13, he used to put the faces in with a chainsaw and we would team up to race each other to get the back cuts in.

It's Been a while since I felled a tree with an axe but I snedded a few up with one last month.

3 of us with a Stihl bavarian axe cut an ash tree about a foot and a half in diameter. the axe is still beside the bed, never seen timber since! it gave a strange sense of respect, nostalgia and It was a memorable occasion for my father, myself and one of our friends, the chainsaw processed the rest of the tree in a lot less time but nearly was a let down