Anyone know Conifer Propagation? Weeper in Redwoods. Spruce.

mdvaden

Found what looks like a weeping Sitka Spruce in Redwood National and State Parks. Planning to submit a permit to collect cuttings and propagate. Its the only one I've ever seen. It may be one of a kind. Its small.

Seems hard to connect locally with people who have answers on when the best time is. Or ... if it's possible Autumn and Winter. Greenhouse available.

Because its the only one I've seen, and with a chance of damage growing in the forest, I thought propagation may be better sooner than later, if the parks even approve.

Weeping_Spruce_1200.jpg.f01d4daed68669aa3122a11964595977.jpg

Hey, lucky find!

I came across a naturally growing cut leaved elder last summer, sadly long discovered and propagated but none the less an exciting find.

Locally, weeping cedars and sequoias are common in gardens from the 60's and 70's. with the cedars often grown into rings/wheels or at washing line height, long and low.

Best of luck with your find!

Ty

I believe hardwood cuttings, taken in late summer do best for most conifers.

Very slow to take root, but quite a good uptake percentage on most species compared to broadleaves.

Finally started to find a few articles online. Late summer to winter, and hardwood is what I found. Probably would be easier to keep cuttings moist if I wait for autumn.

Now its a matter of waiting to see if the collection permit is approved or not.

One of these (or US equivalent) can really help with slow rooting things as it keeps them moist but aerated indefinitely. It also adds a bit of bottom heat and the sterile growing medium stops them from rotting off. Takes a bit of playing with, but I've just potted up three black mulberry 'Chelsea' which I took as cuttings in early June and have now rooted well. I have some elm taken at the same time and still getting going, but perfectly healthy.

AERO-POT, Aeroponic Portable Heated Propagator - BLACK, BIG METAL MISTER! 8x Pot | eBay

Alec

I could be an idea to record what part of the tree you take cuttings from. Different areas could produce different forms. If you are wanting weeping I would avoid any material that is heading for the sky.

I'll have a look in my library(got a book somewhere on this) to see if I can find any hormone rooting treatment levels and any other propagation info. If I recall correctly from college there was a period of misting.

Cuttings taken and put in polybag with a few drops of water in the bottom(to keep humidity up) then prepared on a sterile plate and placed in the sterile growing medium. It could also be a good idea to be as stringent with hygiene as possible with this kind of rare find. Any cuttings I take are prepared immediately.

Hope that is of any use.