Hardwood "pallets".

Pogel

Hello all :001_smile:

I'm a long-distance artic' driver who found my way here as a result of a soon-to-be installed wood burning stove, so I hope nobody minds a newbie asking a question or two :blushing:

Firstly, on my travels, I come across more than my share of standard pallets and various softwoods skids.(one of our main customers sends their product out to construction sites on 4" square x 8' long skids which used to end up in a skip. Not any more :thumbup1:) As long as they're seasoned, and appreciating that they won't last too long, are they ok to use?

Secondly, this week I've had two loads of timber from a freight forwarder in Ipswich. Both from Indonesia, one load of decking was sat on "Heath Robinson" pallets made of hardwood battens and planks ranging in size from 3 X 2 to 4 X 3/4. I've no idea what wood it is but it's heavy stuff compared to an equivalent piece of softwood. While I was unloading, not far from home, by coincedence, I asked what they did with all the dead pallets. They just dump them at the bottom of their yard so the upshot is that they've said to take as much as I want so I'll be spending saturday filling my van up!! As some of the hardwood is up to 5 metres long, it seems a shame to waste it. All they do is burn it when the pile gets too big :w00t: Without knowing what kind of wood it is, again, will it be okay to use?

Thanks in advance.

Martyn.

a lot of pallets these days are light throw away variety, and are untreated. i use them for stacking logs on 1 year and chopping into kindling the next

Thats fine but multi use pallets are normally treated with preservatives which when burnt are harmful to human health. Gases given off are harmful as is the residue of the preservative that finishes up in the ash. Please do not spread this ash on the garden, if you do and subsequently grow veg in it the preservative will get into your body. Dispose of the ash in your rubbish bin having made sure its cold. the nails from pallets will also lodge on the grate making teh removal on some ash pans tricky. You have to fish around for the nails.

That aside they do burn well.

A

Anyone know any good links to info on this? We also get loads of pallets from stock deliveries and we put them through the burner. Surely in a very hot fire, all the gases are burnt aren't they?

We did have one the other day which looked quite normal but was really stinky when burnt like it had creosote in it or something. Not nice.

One thing I am considering is building a fairly large kiln to quickly season logs and using pallets to heat it by a fire underneath. I figure this may be a better use of them rather than burning them in the house.