Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chainsaw Carving Forum Discussion forum for chainsaw carving and other woodwork, discuss techniques and share pictures of your latest work here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-16   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013

hare today...

Customer wanted a hare for their Granny's Christmas gift. She sent me some photos of smooth-sanded hares that others had done... nah, not my style any more. Chainsaw + blowtorch + flapsander (sandoflex) gives much nicer finish I think. Used a soldering iron on the eye then a coat of decking-oil mixed 50-50 with woodpreserver. Gotta love Douglas Fir, the colour is glorious
Attached Images

Last edited by dervishcarving; 11-12-16 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: forgot the pics :)
Old 11-12-16   #2 (permalink)

Re: hare today...

Very nice carve Dave
Old 11-12-16   #3 (permalink)

the hardest part was carving it on a 90 degree angle! no idea why the pictures came out on their side, sorry about that
Old 12-12-16   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2015

Nice one looks great.
I love the way you talk about it's not your style anymore. I truly wonder wether as I will ever settle with one.
I know I'm in a set style at mo. But I also know it's likely to adapt and change. I'm getting a flexcut carving jack and some different palm chisels for Christmas not with the intention of incorporating the use of them within my chainsaw carvings really more about having a go at smaller detailed hand carves. But I've got a feeling I'll end up incorporating them into my new carvings in the future that's what's exciting. Do we ever stick to a style or is every piece an ever evolving process of us trying new things to satisfy are creativity.
I love seeing your stuff Dave and look forward to seeing more.
Old 12-12-16   #5 (permalink)

Good Job. Great face.
Old 12-12-16   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcrafter View Post
Nice one looks great.
I love the way you talk about it's not your style anymore. I truly wonder wether as I will ever settle with one.
I know I'm in a set style at mo. But I also know it's likely to adapt and change. I'm getting a flexcut carving jack and some different palm chisels for Christmas not with the intention of incorporating the use of them within my chainsaw carvings really more about having a go at smaller detailed hand carves. But I've got a feeling I'll end up incorporating them into my new carvings in the future that's what's exciting. Do we ever stick to a style or is every piece an ever evolving process of us trying new things to satisfy are creativity.
I love seeing your stuff Dave and look forward to seeing more.
couldn't agree more... styles and attitudes towards our own work change all the time. When i first started and for the first coupe of years i would put down the saw way too early and go to the grinder or the sander. Then i started to trust the saw more and would do more and more of the work with just the saw. But i would still sand things a lot (what i would now call 'too much). Thins tended to come out looking a bit... 'same-y' if you know what i mean?
Then i started to play with saw/blowtorch/flapsander and liked the results and, for now at least, THATS the 'style' i tend to stick to. Everyone has their own approach and I think we all need to find the one we are most comfortable with... and then push it as far as we can
I tried some hadnd tools but found i have minimal skill with them.... much to my shame i think just put them away early this year and haven't gone back to them. I think i will try them again this Christmas though, when i cant be out carvign Ill be in the shed hand-carving (its also where i store my beer barrels, shhhh! don't tell the wife!)
provided you are enjoying what you are doing and constantly trying to improve, I think you are doing the right thing.
Old 12-12-16   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervishcarving View Post
couldn't agree more... styles and attitudes towards our own work change all the time. When i first started and for the first coupe of years i would put down the saw way too early and go to the grinder or the sander. Then i started to trust the saw more and would do more and more of the work with just the saw. But i would still sand things a lot (what i would now call 'too much). Thins tended to come out looking a bit... 'same-y' if you know what i mean?
Then i started to play with saw/blowtorch/flapsander and liked the results and, for now at least, THATS the 'style' i tend to stick to. Everyone has their own approach and I think we all need to find the one we are most comfortable with... and then push it as far as we can
I tried some hadnd tools but found i have minimal skill with them.... much to my shame i think just put them away early this year and haven't gone back to them. I think i will try them again this Christmas though, when i cant be out carvign Ill be in the shed hand-carving (its also where i store my beer barrels, shhhh! don't tell the wife!)
provided you are enjoying what you are doing and constantly trying to improve, I think you are doing the right thing.
Theres so many valid points here based on experience, i whole hardheartedly agree as i have gone through the same myself, no, i am going through the same process myself reaching less and less for the power tools, this should be a thread on its own
Old 12-12-16   #8 (permalink)

Try carving a real mean lookin BigWig rabbit from the Water Ship Down novel.

As I recall BigWig was a real brawler, with chunks bitten out of his ears n stuff.

Nice head on your rabbit carving Dervish!

Now, get mean?

Jomoco