hare today...

dervishcarving

Customer wanted a hare for their Granny's Christmas gift. She sent me some photos of smooth-sanded hares that others had done... nah, not my style any more. Chainsaw + blowtorch + flapsander (sandoflex) gives much nicer finish I think. Used a soldering iron on the eye then a coat of decking-oil mixed 50-50 with woodpreserver. Gotta love Douglas Fir, the colour is glorious

20161210_211312.jpg.d4e21f0d01989b3e93ed7b0503a59e10.jpg

20161210_211321.jpg.90918912722cccd0f416679b55834199.jpg

Edited by dervishcarving
forgot the pics :)

Nice one looks great.

I love the way you talk about it's not your style anymore. I truly wonder wether as I will ever settle with one.

I know I'm in a set style at mo. But I also know it's likely to adapt and change. I'm getting a flexcut carving jack and some different palm chisels for Christmas not with the intention of incorporating the use of them within my chainsaw carvings really more about having a go at smaller detailed hand carves. But I've got a feeling I'll end up incorporating them into my new carvings in the future that's what's exciting. Do we ever stick to a style or is every piece an ever evolving process of us trying new things to satisfy are creativity.

I love seeing your stuff Dave and look forward to seeing more.

Nice one looks great.

I love the way you talk about it's not your style anymore. I truly wonder wether as I will ever settle with one.

I know I'm in a set style at mo. But I also know it's likely to adapt and change. I'm getting a flexcut carving jack and some different palm chisels for Christmas not with the intention of incorporating the use of them within my chainsaw carvings really more about having a go at smaller detailed hand carves. But I've got a feeling I'll end up incorporating them into my new carvings in the future that's what's exciting. Do we ever stick to a style or is every piece an ever evolving process of us trying new things to satisfy are creativity.

I love seeing your stuff Dave and look forward to seeing more.

couldn't agree more... styles and attitudes towards our own work change all the time. When i first started and for the first coupe of years i would put down the saw way too early and go to the grinder or the sander. Then i started to trust the saw more and would do more and more of the work with just the saw. But i would still sand things a lot (what i would now call 'too much). Thins tended to come out looking a bit... 'same-y' if you know what i mean?

Then i started to play with saw/blowtorch/flapsander and liked the results and, for now at least, THATS the 'style' i tend to stick to. Everyone has their own approach and I think we all need to find the one we are most comfortable with... and then push it as far as we can :)

I tried some hadnd tools but found i have minimal skill with them.... much to my shame i think just put them away early this year and haven't gone back to them. I think i will try them again this Christmas though, when i cant be out carvign Ill be in the shed hand-carving (its also where i store my beer barrels, shhhh! don't tell the wife!)

provided you are enjoying what you are doing and constantly trying to improve, I think you are doing the right thing.

couldn't agree more... styles and attitudes towards our own work change all the time. When i first started and for the first coupe of years i would put down the saw way too early and go to the grinder or the sander. Then i started to trust the saw more and would do more and more of the work with just the saw. But i would still sand things a lot (what i would now call 'too much). Thins tended to come out looking a bit... 'same-y' if you know what i mean?

Then i started to play with saw/blowtorch/flapsander and liked the results and, for now at least, THATS the 'style' i tend to stick to. Everyone has their own approach and I think we all need to find the one we are most comfortable with... and then push it as far as we can :)

I tried some hadnd tools but found i have minimal skill with them.... much to my shame i think just put them away early this year and haven't gone back to them. I think i will try them again this Christmas though, when i cant be out carvign Ill be in the shed hand-carving (its also where i store my beer barrels, shhhh! don't tell the wife!)

provided you are enjoying what you are doing and constantly trying to improve, I think you are doing the right thing.

Theres so many valid points here based on experience, i whole hardheartedly agree as i have gone through the same myself, no, i am going through the same process myself reaching less and less for the power tools, this should be a thread on its own:001_smile: