Fibre broadband with EE

Steve Bullman

I was on fibre, its awesome.

sadly though it is "capped" according to your pay grade, fibre is basically capable of 100's of meg a second but we all get capped off at the price we pay, more reasons to hate this system!

Fibre optics mean light, think speed of light! its only your processor cant handle it!

100Mg BB is standard in Japan

I will let you know tomorrow :)

I have a new line going in tomorrow for another phone and fibre broadband with EE.

Been quite pleased with the way they have dealt with things so far as we have moved the mobiles over to them aswell as part of the package.

they have guaranteed 43mb/s which will be a huge improvement on the 1.5mb/s we currently get.

lets hope so, because I just signed up :)

Good luck with that.

I have dealt with some crap companies in my time but EE must be high up on the list.

Phoned to make sure the line was going in today, over an hour and a half later they inform me that they can't use my old number (which they said they could and that was why I went with them when I ordered) and that it was going to be on the 14th july, which then became 17th, but I still can't have my old number.

I had to take a mobile contract to get the phone/broadband package with them, which was a whole load of fun canceling as it's over 14 days.

I wouldn't touch them with a very long barge pole, one of those companies that are ok if it all goes ok I think.

Rant over, I have wasted a whole morning waiting in and sorting this bunch of rubbish.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just to update....

Loads of confusion over this right from the start.

I called bt to get a mac code so I could arrange moving the EE. They asked me why i was moving so I told them it was for the faster fibre optic broadband, at which point they told me fibre wasn't available in my area. I went back to EE who assured me it was. I then went on the bt website and searched my phone number...their website then told me it was available...so another call to bt followed.

I then spoke to my neighbour who is in IT and is also an internet reseller for a small local company, who told me that although the cables run to our house, because of the cabinet we are in the speeds won't actually be any faster.

I then decided to cancel with EE, and BT said they could sell me their faster broadband internet(not fibre) which would give me between 10-15mb download speed, so I went with that.

Anyway, the engineer called this morning to hook us up. I told him about all the confusion around the whole thing to see if he could clear it up. He then told me that it was fibre that he had just connected me to and not their faster broadband service which is odd. Currently getting 17.75 mbs download speed though so i'm happy, and this should appararently speed up and stabilize over the next 48 hours.

I heard a while back of a guy, (works for a well known computing mag) who tried to get connected to fibre, which he new was in his area. The fibre had recently been run along his street and had even been routed under the guttering; so he could see the actual stuff. When he got in contact with BT, he was informed, that even though there was a fibre cable to and from the local box, which was less than 200m from his house. That there weren't enough households in that area, that had expressed interest in fibre. So the fibre in that particular box wouldn't be switch on.

He then made it a point to ask all his neighbours via mail-shot in his street and streets either side for their opinion on this and without exception nobody even knew of the existence of fibre in their immediate area. Turns out, he only knew about it from contacts in comms.

He then wrote to BT and was informed that since none of his neighbours had expressly asked about a fibre connection, BT had deemed it not worthy of advertising the recent installation. And further, BT's decision to not do so, had been proven correct, when no one had then asked to be transferred to the new fibre.

So for the foreseeable future, the fibre would remain in place. But BT would not tell anyone it was there, nor would the box be switched over and as far as they were concerned. It was enough to be able to say to government, that another area had cable, even though they would not actually connect anyone to it.

He thought this was utter lunacy and I'm inclined to agree with him.

Edited by TGB

Similar to what the engineer was telling me. They install 100 lines in the cabinet, but wait till they have had 50 enquires till they activate it, once the 100 lines are sold they're sold, then they will activate a further 100 as demand grows. Apparently you can request it on bt's site.

Latest speedcheck now hitting 25.53mbs

My mother recently changed from an old BT router, to a new BT router. Same external cabling and less money but her Ping was reduced by a third, avg. upload went from 1.5Mbps to 9.2+Mbps and avg. download went from 4.9Mbps to 20.3Mbps.

When I exchanged it, I reused the same after-market internal cabling.

Edited by TGB