Tractor advice

chris23a

I currently own an Iveco Daily 35C15 tipper and a L200 pickup which we use for the business but im always aware that the vehicles can creep over the 3500kg legal weight limit, even when they have little in them (I have a post Jan 97 license). I don't want all the hassle of the C license, operators license, tachographs, etc so ive been considering in investing in a Tractor, probably something around 100hp, like a John deere 6000 series, budget would be around £25k. The main advantage being that I can tow heavy loads without worrying about being pulled over by VOSA and can drive off road if necessary. What are your opinions on this? Is it worthwhile? Will it be practical or just a waste of money? What sort of tractor should I go for?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you provided that the majority of your work is no more than an hours run away, so 20 mile circle from base. I use my tractor for this sort of thing and tow a 5 ton trailer behind with all my tools for certain jobs. I drive really slowly as I like to look over the hedges and always pull in to let other vehicles pass.

As to the tractor the choice is wide with that budget just make sure not to get a 50k box! Things like 16.9 x 38 tyres are a common tyre so easy to access and these are fitted to many 100 hp tractors. You may find you really don't need a 4 wheel drive machine either.

codlasher.

If you want to be a legal beagle you need a restricted operators licence to drive a tractor on the road as a contractor, I know because I phoned up VOSA 2 weeks ago and asked them.

I have a 95hp tractor which I use to tow my 3 ton digger(and attachments, it only does 20mph but I'm quite happy doing that speed- its funny how you seem to get to the job pretty quickly anyway!

Why not do your additional trailer license and then you can tow up to 3.5t gross without an operators licence in Northern Ireland depending on your vehicle.

The Iveco is still around 3000kg empty so doesn't leave enough of a 'legal' payload. Im doing a job next week where i'll be removing about 50 tons of timber, that's a lot of trips down to the yard, if I had a tractor and a 10ton dump trailer I could extract all the timber in just 5 runs.

If you want to be a legal beagle you need a restricted operators licence to drive a tractor on the road as a contractor, I know because I phoned up VOSA 2 weeks ago and asked them.

I have a 95hp tractor which I use to tow my 3 ton digger(and attachments, it only does 20mph but I'm quite happy doing that speed- its funny how you seem to get to the job pretty quickly anyway!

What is this restricted operators license? What do you need to get one?