Power dying away as i make a cut

Lump

Hello, my chainsaw starts first pull, idles nicely and seems to rev up well.

The problem is, as soon as i start making a cut the power dies away & the chain stops.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? I can't seem to do much to improve it.

Thanks very muuch.

Sounds like lack of fuel at high speed to me. Things like the carb gauze strainer, holed fuel line, blocked fuel filter, blocked tank breather are all prime causes.

It may also be the compression is down or the saw has had a partial seize.

That should keep you busy Sunday:sneaky2::lol:

And what saw is it:confused1::001_tongue:

Lets start with something simple

What make and model

Is it maintained

The saw is a shindaiwa 377. It's a little one, but this time last year I had it cutting 2' trunks like butter.

It dies even when sharp.

I do not know a whole lot about saw maintenance, but thank you for naming four things to try, i can look up how to do that now :D

Will let you know how it goes.

OK, i've looked at the fuel lines & they seem intact, fuel flowed through them as far as i could see so i doubt they're blocked or partially blocked.

Tuned it till it sounded right at high revs.

Cleaned the air filter, nice and white again.

De-coked the wire gauze bit, it was about 80% coked up, we all know what that does to the nose. Now it's shining.

I sharpened the saw again too.

It's cutting much more powerfully now, but I'm getting a bit of a banana cut. I think i need to even up my sharpening.

De-coked the wire gauze bit, it was about 80% coked up, we all know what that does to the nose. Now it's shining

Do you mean the spark arrester in the silencer ? Take it out and put it somewhere safe where you might never see it again it will run better for it :thumbup:

OK, i've looked at the fuel lines & they seem intact, fuel flowed through them as far as i could see so i doubt they're blocked or partially blocked.

Tuned it till it sounded right at high revs.

Cleaned the air filter, nice and white again.

De-coked the wire gauze bit, it was about 80% coked up, we all know what that does to the nose. Now it's shining.

I sharpened the saw again too.

It's cutting much more powerfully now, but I'm getting a bit of a banana cut. I think i need to even up my sharpening.

Sorry, I thought you were cutting wood, if it is cutting bananas you need a special chain:lol:

Common banana cutting is caused by the rails being splayed causing chain roll or the rails being an uneven height causing the chain to sit at an angle.

Uneven sharpening may cause it but less likely than bar wear.

Sorry, I thought you were cutting wood, if it is cutting bananas you need a special chain:lol:

Common banana cutting is caused by the rails being splayed causing chain roll or the rails being an uneven height causing the chain to sit at an angle.

Uneven sharpening may cause it but less likely than bar wear.

I do alot of work in the Jamaican quarter of Scotland.

It was cutting straight, i rekkon it's just bad sharpening. I'll put it on a sharpening jig to make sure it's perfect, then see if i can make a straight line again.