What to seal wood ends with?

IanW

I have this lovely wood and need to seal the cut ends as I don't want it to split as I'm going to make a bowl out of it.

wax won't stick to it, just comes straight off, it is quite wet though.

what can I use?

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1394210437.273055.jpg.ddb6ecab5e87559fdd690e9f1d07b4ca.jpg

also dose any one have any idea what it is??

it looks to me like some sort of Hawthorne type.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1394210541.219528.jpg.569219cb713184e4993840b74e2d9e3d.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1394210584.657352.jpg.649c4d36dfee3c5555a5f972ea2584f5.jpg

looks like a prunus of some sort , you`ll do well to stop it spliting, and my advice would be to cut it in half straight away to allow the tension to release! then you can use end grain seal, or just white emulsion,some people use pva glue! the next step would be too rough turn the bowl blank and get rid of some unwanted timber!

the bark on the hawthorn is much thinner than the sample piece shown which is identical to some cherry i have here.

it is a prunus im sure, see page ten of this thread three posts down and you'll see the colour match for a victoria plum than was my sisters

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/milling-forum/56501-milling-pics-vids-10.html

the bark on the hawthorn is much thinner than the sample piece shown which is identical to some cherry i have here.

it is a prunus im sure, see page ten of this thread three posts down and you'll see the colour match for a victoria plum than was my sisters

with you on this steve, taken loads of these prunus down around here , very hard to dry out, so dense ,and prone to some nice fungi, most of the hawthorn I take down is slightly more yellow/orangey colour! (but hey could be wrong)

there is no page 10, only 9 ???

Ian