Oversized timber processing

numbercruncher

Hi

bought about 10ton oversized timber from someone on arbtalk who needed to clear their yard so was selling it cheap(ish)......

long story short, massively over-estimated my ability to process this into firewood so need someone to come in and process it for me

largest pieces are about 30-40 inch diameter and 2-3 meter long........does anyone have the equipment & capacity to do this for me in the next few weeks?

i'm based in central Wakefield and can supply 3 people to help if needed

ta

All you need is a saw that will run a 20" bar and a good axe

cheers

mac

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gigant 40 2,5 metre

That looks to be a rare beast as I can't see it on Binderberger website.

I have an ordinary Gigant 40 but I find the strengthening bar along the top gets in the way when trying load large diameter butts. So much so I hired in a large Lasco splitter on 13tonne 360 to split a lot of 3ft/4ft + diameter butts I had accumulated over the last 4yrs.

That looks to be a rare beast as I can't see it on Binderberger website.

I have an ordinary Gigant 40 but I find the strengthening bar along the top gets in the way when trying load large diameter butts. So much so I hired in a large Lasco splitter on 13tonne 360 to split a lot of 3ft/4ft + diameter butts I had accumulated over the last 4yrs.

It's on Marshalls website

You have the same machine then?

Strengthening bars a pain, may lower them as sometimes want to tip big bits in with loader

And would I be picking them up off the floor onto the vertical splitter??

Hell NO!!!

Luckily we got a 'thumb' on our mini digger, load it onto a 'roller table' and it just wheels along to under the splitter...

No broken backs here.... :thumbup1:

Had a photo of our set up somewhere on here ages ago to show.... :sneaky2:

How many of you guys are 65 yrs old and still breaking down 3ft /4ft + plus butts with wedges and axe 5days a week. If any of you are ,good luck to you(the saying "being a busy fool ,comes to my mind if you are") ,because I do not have the will or the patience at 65 !!!

How many of you guys are 65 yrs old and still breaking down 3ft /4ft + plus butts with wedges and axe 5days a week. If any of you are ,good luck to you(the saying "being a busy fool ,comes to my mind if you are") ,because I do not have the will or the patience at 65 !!!

No need to break down 3-4 ft butts with wedges and axe - sthil 084 with 36" bar will take careof that!

A mere stripling at 58

Cheers

mac

To be fair the OP isn't in the log business, and it doesn't read that he needs a biomass boiler amount processes day in day out.

I buy in around 10 tonnes or cordwood about now every year. Slowly and safely I cut them into rounds with a 20" bar and then split them on a 7 tonne vertical. All done by hand, but not in a day or two but over say 10 different days depending on weather.

I don't do it because I have to, I do it because I love doing it.