Neck or chest?

Dilz

Does anyone here use a SRT set up like this:

Rope comes down from tie in into

-a descender device (RIG or whatever)

-back up and over a pulley

-which is attached to a hand ascender.

This is what I have put together, first proper use at work this afternoon. Pull the tail and it advances the descender which then captures progress, then advance the hand ascender and repeat. When the tie in point is reached, leave the hand ascender just under the tie in and work position using the descender, while keeping the tail on you, through a harness point or whatever. Sorry if its a tangent, just ignore...Im just pumped to be climbing.

Sounds hard work. And similar to the RADS/Yo-Yo technique.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it was fairly hard, lifting half my weight on the downpull. I think it technically is RAD/Yo-yo. Noticed that's what the industrial rope access guys are using, with a backup second rope and travelling fall arrest gadget.

You may be lifting half your weight but you will be doing it twice as often! You want to try avoiding using your arms as much as possible, like with doubled rope systems as well as srt you need to use your legs as much as possible.

Industrial rope access techniques has little to do with tree work, not paid much attention to what is being employed in that industry only when I first started SRT for ascent which is where I started using RADS but found it horrible inefficient and began to give me problems so looked for a more balanced technique, used the tree frog for a long long time to gain access to then work on a DdRT system, before doing everything SRT, I like SRT but never found DdRT that taxing or difficult either.

But isn't the idea of RADS that you practically make a travelling Dr system on a single rope? When you want to limb walk you can leave the ascender attached and that, with a pulley clipped to it, becomes your effective tie in point.

I have a foot ascender as well, have tried it in conjunction with the setup, with not great success, but maybe need to give it some more time. Ive just started all this malarky, never climbed before.

True the rope access workers have very different needs, they use bosun chairs for most of their stuff. Having the gear is bloody great for everything though, in the handyman line - makes sweeping chimneys a doodle, strop on and brush like the devil with no worries about falling. Makes life easy. Difficult double glazing replacement job coming up, have placed glue in anchor bolts from a ladder for access in a place where scaffolding and machinery won't go.

Even for everyday type bush clearing, having the harness gives a lot more safety, working on steep messy slopes for instance.

• 1 month later...

Tried a neck tether for the first time yesterday, and didn't notice it at all throughout 4 different climbs, all takedowns on spikes.

I might find it different with foot ascender and HAAS, but the fact I didn't notice it was promising. Still had it on went I walked into the pub.

Another bonus was because the weather was pretty vile there was a bit of clothes changing going on, quicker and easier than a chester or sling.

Tried a neck tether for the first time yesterday, and didn't notice it at all throughout 4 different climbs, all takedowns on spikes.

I might find it different with foot ascender and HAAS, but the fact I didn't notice it was promising. Still had it on went I walked into the pub.

Another bonus was because the weather was pretty vile there was a bit of clothes changing going on, quicker and easier than a chester or sling.

:thumbup: