A bit of help please? Equipment storage

winchman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget ventilation except to mention it is ineffective, manufacturers tout it as a selling point but you simply cant get the air movement in a kit bag

Remember ist a school project so he has to explore many ideas and dismiss them so a 12v fan could be in one end of the kit bag to force air through, I know it possibly won't work but its another point he can write about.

Remember ist a school project so he has to explore many ideas and dismiss them so a 12v fan could be in one end of the kit bag to force air through, I know it possibly won't work but its another point he can write about.

Which is why I said

Forget ventilation except to mention it is ineffective

Even forced ventilation would be largely ineffective.

A low volt battery system would be the default option, particularly for working away from base but the battery would add excess weight, endurance would be limited.

A fan would also be vulnerable to damage and need to be demountable to survive the ruff and tumble of daily arb life.

I agree with treequip sentiments, and feel a kit bag should be totally waterproof I have a haul bag for all my gear and like its simplicity, external year loops for me are a bit no no, just simple clean external design to keep the elements out.

Once off site and back at yard or home if my kit is wet I will get it out to dry and be well aired in an ventilated enviroment.

I prefer waterproof over ventilated - however - nothing wrong with putting in some sort of ventilation that could then be zipped closed to make it water proof?

Why complicate the design though keep it simple and robust, I've kept my kit in a black diamond touchstone haul bag for nearly 10 years it is simple and robust, I've also had countless other bags with ventilation either through mesh or zips and they either fail or let in dirt and moisture.

If it's wet it needs to be hung up to dry regardless after a day's work, or keep on climbing till it drys.

I avoid anything with ventilation or zips these days.

I use an Army Issue N.I. Patrol Pack to carry my winch kit, main compartment easily holds my 50m of 12mm Sirius, side pockets hold one strop each, winch strop and a couple of slings sit on the snowlock extension above the rope and the 2 lid pockets hold, shackles, carabiners & pulleys.

Tough as nails and leaves my hands free to carry the winch and fuel can.