Understanding forks a bit more

Island Lescure

Sounds like this talk left its attendees more puzzled than informed. Not sure I will attend now.

Puzzlement is a step up from not possessing the knowledge, and being aware of the context such knowledge was provided in. Not everything is so simple as 1+1=2, and branch attachment is certainly one of those. Tree mechanics is a beast that is far harder to tame than the engineering of static and non-living materials ever will be. Have some guts to learn, and be puzzled all the way through. :thumbup1:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arcto: I find the more I learn about trees, the more questions I have. Whether that is a good thing or not is up to the individual to decide. It was definitely easier making decisions about trees 10 years ago.

But I will definitely look twice at forks now before dismissing them as being a risk and that, for me, is a good thing.

Goaty: Cheers for the clarification. Yes, I have seen a fair few trees knackered once half of the tree pulls out due to a bad junction, though to be fair, I have also seen others that fared well for a while despite this.

Arcto: I find the more I learn about trees, the more questions I have. Whether that is a good thing or not is up to the individual to decide. It was definitely easier making decisions about trees 10 years ago.

Of course it's a good thing. It was only easier as you were more ignorant back then, and I mean that in the most polite of ways.

I'm reading Schwarze's Diagnosis and Prognosis... at the moment, and he alludes to exactly this.

From what I have read of Dr Slater's work it would appear that he is not entirely sure either.

In what way?

In one way I'd say that's a good thing - Duncan approaches things with scientific rigour so he asks questions then researches in order to find answers. If he knew it all now his research would be flawed.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I'm not sure what you are getting at? It appears you are questioning my observation but then agreeing with it.

From my perspective, not at all. Fact of the matter is, it doesn't even really matter how sure he is. The fact is, he is inquisitive enough to research it, and look to query and build upon existing reseach (notably that of Shigo's) for the betterment of the arboricultural industry. He could only be 10% sure of what he has right now, and I really wouldn't care, as the fact is that he's coming up with some curious observations that certainly warrants further research. Scientific advancement doesn't happen overnight, and he might still not be sure ten years from now. But who really cares? We're moving forward, and you're not the one doing this specific research (I would imagine).

From my perspective, not at all. Fact of the matter is, it doesn't even really matter how sure he is. The fact is, he is inquisitive enough to research it, and look to query and build upon existing reseach (notably that of Shigo's) for the betterment of the arboricultural industry. He could only be 10% sure of what he has right now, and I really wouldn't care, as the fact is that he's coming up with some curious observations that certainly warrants further research. Scientific advancement doesn't happen overnight, and he might still not be sure ten years from now. But who really cares?.

I agree. But then I have not said otherwise. Have I?