Personal protective equipment

plattsy

Evening plattsy,

I can understand why people are skirting around your original question because of the amount of time spent on this forum and on the internet about kit but ppe especially.

I would have to agree trying things on is a good idea and that good kit doesn't come cheap but having a chat with people wearing the kit is always a good idea.

I try never to skimp on ppe but the most expensive isn't always the best for you. If you are climbing you'll need a helmet with certain requirements... Chinstrap. If you're doing a chipper module you'll need chipper earmuffs etc etc. Make sure you get the kit that is specific to the modules you are looking to take and for the job you want at the end. Chainsaw trousers is a good example. Railway works require certain features, climbers require a higher level of protection. I also rarely see people in the trade wearing chainsaw gloves but if that is a requirement for the college then you'll have to get a pair that are rated.

Good luck with it all. Don't buy second hand.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would counter the secondhand argument by saying if you can get un or hardly used cheap get something to start at college then keep them as a rough set for abusive work such as conifer bashing. It's d vast sting to be sat in a leylandii and snag fancy high priced gear.

Also because your starting you can concentrate on the saw work rather than damaging the threads.

Then go to an arb shop or apf try the gear and buy what you want when you can afford it.

Don't go all out buying fancy stuff right now.

Maybe as a basic list

No risk/haix blue ridge chainsaw boots

Stihl economy/ sip boxer type a

Husky ground helmet

Oregon chainsaw gloves

All above I have worn and are comfortable enough. Of the two trousers I currently where sip boxer, bright red 😁 but too hot for my innovation 2 at the mo.

Regards

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Arbtalk mobile app

Don't forget to check you're NOT charged VAT (from memory, integrated helmet/ visor/ear duffs & boots should be exempt when bought for personal use - can't remember if it extends to trousers) but again, a search of the forum should bring up a thread or 2, it's all been talked out previously!!

There's a potential 20% saving straight off!

Thanks, mate. I'll look into that

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Evening plattsy,

I can understand why people are skirting around your original question because of the amount of time spent on this forum and on the internet about kit but ppe especially.

I would have to agree trying things on is a good idea and that good kit doesn't come cheap but having a chat with people wearing the kit is always a good idea.

I try never to skimp on ppe but the most expensive isn't always the best for you. If you are climbing you'll need a helmet with certain requirements... Chinstrap. If you're doing a chipper module you'll need chipper earmuffs etc etc. Make sure you get the kit that is specific to the modules you are looking to take and for the job you want at the end. Chainsaw trousers is a good example. Railway works require certain features, climbers require a higher level of protection. I also rarely see people in the trade wearing chainsaw gloves but if that is a requirement for the college then you'll have to get a pair that are rated.

Good luck with it all. Don't buy second hand.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated:)

Don't go all out buying fancy stuff right now.

Maybe as a basic list

No risk/haix blue ridge chainsaw boots

Stihl economy/ sip boxer type a

Husky ground helmet

Oregon chainsaw gloves

All above I have worn and are comfortable enough. Of the two trousers I currently where sip boxer, bright red [emoji16] but too hot for my innovation 2 at the mo.

Regards

Thanks, I've been told the husky helmets are generally better than stihl anyway?

I'd much rather have a pair of chainsaw trousers that I know haven't been washed in massively high heat, petrol stained helmets and ill fitting fungus filled boots... I wouldn't buy a second hand rope as it's my life at stake the same as I wouldn't buy a second hand pair of chainsaw trousers as I like my legs. Any problems and its the manufacturers issue to deal with and resolve

Thanks, I've been told the husky helmets are generally better than stihl anyway?

One thing I can say from personal experience is that the husqvarna/msa fittings (ear muffler and visor) are better than the Peltor as fitted to the stihl helmet I used to wear a while ago and my current lid. The Peltor ones have small springs which keep the visor up which in my experience pop out and are generally weaker imo

Did they tell you why?

For what it's worth I use an MSA V Guard Stayz-On helmet with MSA Ear defenders and visor. The helmet is great IMO, the adjustment is better (again IMO) than the ratchet wheel type, the ear defenders are good too but the mesh on the visor is pretty open. The bare helmet was £7 from North Sea Workwear and meets EN 50365 EN 397.

Did they tell you why?

For what it's worth I use an MSA V Guard Stayz-On helmet with MSA Ear defenders and visor. The helmet is great IMO, the adjustment is better (again IMO) than the ratchet wheel type, the ear defenders are good too but the mesh on the visor is pretty open. The bare helmet was £7 from North Sea Workwear and meets EN 50365 EN 397.

Yeah, my dad works in a similar field and said he finds it hard to get the stihl ear defenders tight enough to his ears and also says the husky ones just feel like they're a better/sturdier build