unimog tow hitch??

carlos

hi we have a unimog at work with a high up hitch, a rockinger? i think.

i dont think that will fit most farm trailers. just wondering the cheapest and most straight forward way to fit a hitch that would enable us to borrow standard tractor trailers for movin timber. thanks carl.

you aint alowed to tow standard farm trailers with a mog. on no i am one of the mog police now:blushing:. you need a pick up hitch. dont go for the cheapest as you will be towing a heavy trailer at high speeds most probably with no brakes, which you shouldnt be doing anyway. call acprice engineering, google them. he is the best in the counrty with out a doubt, but expect to pay a few grand, or i would just buy a mog trailer with brakes off him, or pm skyhuck, he has a second hand one that he may sell, that is made for a mog:001_cool:

I'm not saying this is legal BUT I had a fixed tow hitch braced back to the chassis which I used to tow a 10 ton ag trailer. I did have an air over hydraulic conversion for the brakes as well.

This is the cheapest way way to do it. The best as Stevie says is a hydraulic / air pick up hitch. I later had one from Vos which worked well.

The first option requires using a highlift jack to reverse onto the trailer.

I'm not saying this is legal BUT I had a fixed tow hitch braced back to the chassis which I used to tow a 10 ton ag trailer. I did have an air over hydraulic conversion for the brakes as well.

This is the cheapest way way to do it. The best as Stevie says is a hydraulic / air pick up hitch. I later had one from Vos which worked well.

The first option requires using a highlift jack to reverse onto the trailer.

I got my ag engineer to fab one up to attaching to chassis for under £450.00

thanks

as above look for a proper mog trailer they will tow a lot better than farm trailers

either ac price http://www.acprice.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=8&Itemid=66

or Park Agri: Used Unimogs, Unimog Accessories and Parts and Unimog Training.heavy cable recovery muller 220 winch cable recovery cable recovery muller 220 Unimog winch tractor he is a muller trailer dealer ( i got mine from him)

Edited by niftysteve

hi guys thanks for the advice , it sounds like the specieal muller style trailers are the best bet really, are the rockinger hitches strong enough just they dont look that beefy. ill pass this on to the boss as hes the one with the wallet! thanks again carl.

hi guys thanks for the advice , it sounds like the specieal muller style trailers are the best bet really, are the rockinger hitches strong enough just they dont look that beefy. ill pass this on to the boss as hes the one with the wallet! thanks again carl.

The Rockinger hitch is plenty strong enough to pull the weight that you require but you must be careful not to overload the nose weight of the trailer, a trailer can only impose a maximum of 1000kg downwards force on the towing vehicle and a rockinger hitch is designed to withstand extreme pulling forces but not massive downwards forces. This is why adjustable drawbar trailers are best suited to Unimogs.

As a matter of interest even HGVs drawbar trailers can only impose upto 1000kg on the towing vehicle even when the combination gross's out at 44tonnes

hope this is of some help:thumbup: