HITACHI ZX30 digger

donnk

Short of very-oversized and helium filled tyres on the plant trailer, a 33U, running at a nominal 3500kg operating weight is a straight no-no for 3500kg towing.

Which was why I specced our wee Mitsu 7500kg beavertail to carry 4000kg, having already bought the 33U the year before, knowing it were a no-no in respect of 3500kg towing limit.

I would ave loved to spec a Engon, but £10,000.00 extra over the sub £25,000.00 purchase cost was going to be impossible to justify to a LA purcheser.

That said I bought the digger as much as a multi-purpose hydraulic power source, with added reach, as as a digger, it has spent this week sifting tyre wire, rims and other ferrous from bonfire remains, with a simple basic Scott sourced grab, thereby saving quite a few thousand in disposal costs.

It can also reasonably "sort" rubbish into recycable, versus non recycable in the correct hands.

That and the wee hydraulic drive hedge knife already more than justified the digger purchase.

Apart from digging the odd grave.

Next up is the hydraulic guillitione shear for heavier branch/limb pruning.

cheers

marcus

My two cents worth re the Engcon/tiltrotator debate. I've just ordered a Rototilt for my 6 tonner - make sure you speak directly to all of the main players (Tim at Rototilt, Pat at Steelwrist, John Craig if you are looking at Engcon (he's a dealer himself, not part of Engcon UK who weren't amazingly helpful IME) and Daniel at SMP. I got nowhere fast trying to get any sort of useful information from any machinery dealers, even one who are actually Engcon agents. If you are ordering a new machine start from scratch with a Scandinavian hitch and buckets - try ordering this from a UK machinery dealer as part of a package and you might as well be talking Swedish as they genuinely don't understand the tilt rotator market at all. I ordered my Quickhitch from SMP, got the buckets made by a firm called Scotts in Northern Ireland, and as stated have just settled on a Rototilt after a good look at all options at Hillhead. There can be wild differences in price for equivalent models and it would be very easy to be upsold extras that aren't required for your application. I didn't buy on price in the end, but I saved significantly over equivalent offerings from other manufacturers (and saved literally thousands over the package Engcon UK and one of their dealers would have sold me/insisted was what I needed). I can't wait for it to be delivered/installed now, so I can try and learn how to dig round holes!!! If you want a load of info have a good read through the ceforum - Eddie has a couple of fantastic threads on there that are a mine of useful info (including great contributions from other tiltrotator users).

Thanks for the advice. I think its a case of get the digger first then sort the rest. Im not too fussed with it being overweight as it doesn't get moved a lot, unlike you guys it will sit on a site for 3 months then off to the next etc.

On another note, I would like to get one of our laborers (young lad showing promise) properly trained to use it from scratch, grading, trenching, loading etc we dont have time or space on site. Don't need official tickets or paperwork as its not needed, anyone recommend a good 1 to 1 trainer for say 3 days I can send him to?

My two cents worth re the Engcon/tiltrotator debate. I've just ordered a Rototilt for my 6 tonner - make sure you speak directly to all of the main players (Tim at Rototilt, Pat at Steelwrist, John Craig if you are looking at Engcon (he's a dealer himself, not part of Engcon UK who weren't amazingly helpful IME) and Daniel at SMP. I got nowhere fast trying to get any sort of useful information from any machinery dealers, even one who are actually Engcon agents. If you are ordering a new machine start from scratch with a Scandinavian hitch and buckets - try ordering this from a UK machinery dealer as part of a package and you might as well be talking Swedish as they genuinely don't understand the tilt rotator market at all. I ordered my Quickhitch from SMP, got the buckets made by a firm called Scotts in Northern Ireland, and as stated have just settled on a Rototilt after a good look at all options at Hillhead. There can be wild differences in price for equivalent models and it would be very easy to be upsold extras that aren't required for your application. I didn't buy on price in the end, but I saved significantly over equivalent offerings from other manufacturers (and saved literally thousands over the package Engcon UK and one of their dealers would have sold me/insisted was what I needed). I can't wait for it to be delivered/installed now, so I can try and learn how to dig round holes!!! If you want a load of info have a good read through the ceforum - Eddie has a couple of fantastic threads on there that are a mine of useful info (including great contributions from other tiltrotator users).

I encourage everyone to speak to as many actual users as possible and then go and try as close to your setup as you can before jumping in.

The problems come three months down the line when guys decide it's really all for them and start going down the attachment route.

This is where the homework and future proofing really come in, and a bit extra on the initial can save a huge amount later.

Just because your application doesn't seem to need it now, you must remember your world and often client base is going turn turned upside down by the added dimension.

Another thing to consider is resale, and sometimes it simply pays to spec a unit a certain way as it will be extremely sought after come time to change, trade up or whatever.

The single biggest factor in my experience is the actual installation, and it is simply critical this is done to a very high standard to avoid future issues.

This is my opinion, but you're unlikely to get much argument either way that you either want John Craig, Pat Bulcock or Tom Lomax to be installing your unit, or else be very careful and pick up on every detail it's crucial.

Very interesting your comments on Engcon UK themselves, as I will only deal with John Craig of JCC Engcon, and most on here who know my Kubota and Liebherr units will understand why, as he delivers some incredible solutions to problems I throw his way.

Eddie.