Echo CS-390ESX vs CS-450

njc110381

I reckon I might just toss a coin!:laugh1:

Really though, if I read back through this lot, the 390 is the more popular saw. I've got a couple of experienced blokes really rating the 390 highly having used both. On top of that it doesn't have the primer bulb which is a feature I don't like very much. The ability to use a longer bar isn't required as I'd just use the bigger machine rather than swap the bars over. It's cheaper, lighter, has plenty of torque and uses less fuel.

Down sides seem to be a slightly less robust feel when compared to the 450. That was getting to me until I thought about the couple of pro lads running them hard, at which point I realised that if they haven't broken it, I'm not likely to either. I also prefer the look of the 450, but looks aren't everything. It's not like it'll be sitting on top of the fireplace in the living room.

If I don't hear back from my local guy very soon I'll be ordering a 390 from ForestAndArb - might as well support a site sponsor if I can't spend locally. I'm a bit miffed by that if I'm honest - I asked for a price on the 27th of last month and got a reply saying they couldn't find it on their price list. I then sent them a link to it on the Echo site and one of it for sale on ForestAndArb, and I've heard nothing since. They may have been a bit shocked by the internet price in the link, but they know I usually buy from them even if it costs more. It's not like I'm a new customer!:confused1:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't keen on the primer bulb myself at 1st probably because it wasn't something I had on my other/older saws, I imagined it prone to splitting or something. I have found it useful if I run the saw completely empty, a couple of pumps and it's ready to start. That said I can take or leave it but it not being there is one less thing that could fail.

I can recommend Forest & Arb for fast service but if I had to mark them down it would be that they're not great at answering e-mails and on 2 occasions now there's been a specification error on the website (wrong chain size on the 501, listed as 3/8 .058 rather than .325 .058 and that resulted in me spending £102 on a 20" Sugihara bar & chain in 3/8 that doesn't fit the 501 although it'll fit the 8002) or the item arrived with a different spec to the website in spite of me actually phoning to tell them to check (CS360TES came with a 14" bar when the website stated 12" and I specifically asked for 12") In both cases I e-mailed them when the saws arrived but didn't get a reply.

That said the prices are good and the service is fast.

I think that's a side effect of having a fast turn over, low profit margin business. They get the kit out quickly and for a good price but don't want to waste time talking about individual sales. It's a shame, but it's the nature of the beast.

I don't suppose it makes much difference to me. They come with a 15" bar as standard so there's not much to vary.

Yes, it looks that way - and then I don't know if there is a quality difference as well?

Unlike some other makes, ALL Echo saws are the same build quality and ALL carry a 2 year Pro warranty (5 year for domestic use).

I think that's a side effect of having a fast turn over, low profit margin business. They get the kit out quickly and for a good price but don't want to waste time talking about individual sales. It's a shame, but it's the nature of the beast.

I don't suppose it makes much difference to me. They come with a 15" bar as standard so there's not much to vary.

You've probably seen the video posted by Chainsaw Bars regarding the CS-390ESX, worth a look. Surprised there isn't a side chain tensioner.

[ame]

[/ame]

Yeah I watched that. Weird how you need that piston stop just to change the sprocket... bit frustrating but gives an excuse to change the plug now and again!

It's not got a side tensioner but it is offset at an upward angle, so it's still easy to access without cutting your knuckles off (assuming the screwdriver doesn't slip...)!:laugh1:

Yeah I watched that. Weird how you need that piston stop just to change the sprocket... bit frustrating but gives an excuse to change the plug now and again!

It's not got a side tensioner but it is offset at an upward angle, so it's still easy to access without cutting your knuckles off (assuming the screwdriver doesn't slip...)!:laugh1:

I wonder if you left the chain brake engaged would the sprocket nut come off, after all the brake band is still there even with the side cover off. Speaking of which, I don't see an issue getting a side cover that includes the brake band back on as long as the chain brake is in the disengaged/run position.

I personally prefer a side chain tensioner as you only need to loosen it half a turn or so to get the side cover off and then you can push the bar right back to remove the chain as the tensioner stub is no longer engaged on the bar. With the top or front tensioner you need to screw the tensioner back while it still has the weight of bar and chain on it, admittedly more of an issue on the CS-8002 with a 28" steel bar, still not a big deal though.

The plug cap actually feels like stiff silicone rubber rather than plastic, at least on the 501.

So you're ordering the 390 tomorrow, 1st thing? :thumbup:

The nut is on the crank, so engaging the chain brake will only stop the clutch drum from rotating, not the centre. If that wasn't the case it would stall when the chain brake was engaged.

As for the tensioner, just back it off a touch and lift the bar off of it. As long as you're careful not to over twist the chain it will work fine.

Tomorrow... You're keen aren't you! I was going to give my local guy a bit more time to respond. I'm not sure what he's playing at because he's usually good - kind of makes me feel I should hang back just a little longer. Maybe I'll email him and let him know I need it soon, so I need a response or I'll order elsewhere. My next dilemma is how much time I should give before I give up - I've sent three emails now so I'm starting to get a little miffed. I could do without having to stop work to ring him during the day, and that's if I even have signal to do it. They start later than me and finish earlier... He should really be more on the ball than this!