Leg fixing

Big Beech

Some of you may recall last year I milled my burr Oak, got the first am small bit out of the shed and have decided upon a nice small side / occasional table.

The burr is stunning throughout with only really one largeish crack about 5" long. Table is approximately 20*14"

I would like to utilise possibly some bone Oak as legs and have a couple of forked sections I could us.

I don't particularly won't to drill and plug the burr, what would your suggestions be for fixing them underneath?

Pictures of the burr to follow!

a possibility would be to turn a large short dowel about 2"-3" diameter and however long you need, 3"-4" should do.

glue and screw it to the underside of your table, assuming that the oak for the legs is large enough you drill a matching sized hole in the top of the legs and slot it in.

you can then screw (or dowel) through the leg into the dowel somewhere that can not be seen from the top too easily.

should do the job.

I made this a while back using bone oak legs and it took some thinking as to how to do it and to be able to do it well . I used a tubular hole saw about 1" dia and drilled in to the top of the legs and then cut off the exterior to leave a dowel integral to the leg , then use a corresponding sized spade bit to drill the female part on the underside of the top ( not going right through ) then cut a slot to insert a wedge that will only expand when reaching the bottom of the recess then glue up ( titebond ) and hammer home ! I am not sure if this is good to be used if the legs are "solo " so to speak without cross bearers etc supporting the legs .... hope this makes sense in text rather than a series of pics !!

007.jpg.4020e4199cec3dc9b2aa2dc867da4e67.jpg

008.jpg.24d4acf1179f64c3e6b1db5cf477efc3.jpg

010.jpg.748b26bdec4412274fd4f1500e3ed9f9.jpg