sick pay who pays

jose

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would look at a different angle and make him redundant.

Lots cheaper.

Handling small-scale redundancies | Step 4: Give redundancy notice and pay | Acas advice and guidance | Acas

Only if you have no plan / intention to employ somebody else into the previous role..... It might be possible to claim that an unexpected upturn in work has resulted in a need, but you might find yourself having to justify it at Tribunal.

Making staff redundant then employing someone else

it's threads like this that make me glad that I don't employ anyone...

I can see why employers don't want to employ women in case they get pregnant and get 3 months maternity leave....

Did you say that or were you just thinking out loud?

Women on average get paid 10% less than their male counterparts (is that the word I'm looking for?), surely having children equals-up the balance?

We don't have children..... Mrs Egg has worked 26 years come this September, uninterrupted for the same company, I don't know the figures over the years but I know now that a bloke that works with her, doing the same job, less educated (rings her for advice) is on £4k a year more than her........ Criminal.

Women on average get paid 10% less than their male counterparts (is that the word I'm looking for?), surely having children equals-up the balance?

We don't have children..... Mrs Egg has worked 26 years come this September, uninterrupted for the same company, I don't know the figures over the years but I know now that a bloke that works with her, doing the same job, less educated (rings her for advice) is on £4k a year more than her........ Criminal.

no they dont thats a complete myth.

Not only is it illegal its counter productive.

If your wife genuinely has the same job spec then get it sorted.

Equal pay - advice and guidance | Acas

The reality is that if you are a small employer there is a risk in employing a woman of child bearing age... Not many employers want to employ someone, train them up, then see them leave for a few months, pay them maternity leave for that time, get someone to cover the original employee etc.

Realistically for a lot of small employers being forced to pay for maternity leave is the difference between making a profit and loss for that year.

no they dont thats a complete myth.

Not only is it illegal its counter productive.

If your wife genuinely has the same job spec then get it sorted.

Equal pay - advice and guidance | Acas

There's no gender pay gap then?

Have you ever been involved with ACAS?, they were a bit rubbish when the company I worked for got forced into negotiations with them...... Probably the wrong terminology, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

There's no gender pay gap then?

Have you ever been involved with ACAS?, they were a bit rubbish when the company I worked for got forced into negotiations with them...... Probably the wrong terminology, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

no there isnt. Companies as a rule dont like to break the law as it costs them money!

Not saying there are not historical issues, just look at how much brum council had to cough up for not paying females the going rate.

If your wife's employer is anyway competent just bring the matter to their attention in a calm professional way. Can't see why they wouldn't want to address it if its a black and white claim.

If you are not happy with the employers response then lodge a claim with the employment tribunal. Maybe if there is a union at the workplace they can help with it also.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-tribunals/make-a-claim

The idea that an employer can tell an employee that they can't work elsewhere in their own time stinks. Talk about keeping the great unwashed in check.

Mrs Egg is on the local council (unpaid). She still as to declare this to her company..... Bollix.

It increasingly frequent for an employee to want to take an additional job, and this rarely creates a problem (although I don't think anyone has yet tested how this works under the European Working Time Directive).

There is implied fidelity in any employment contract but a written clause is less about telling what they can and can't do in their own time and more about clarifying the grey areas (for both parties) in order to avoid the circumstances such as have led to this thread being written.

no there isnt. Companies as a rule dont like to break the law as it costs them money!

Not saying there are not historical issues, just look at how much brum council had to cough up for not paying females the going rate.

If your wife's employer is anyway competent just bring the matter to their attention in a calm professional way. Can't see why they wouldn't want to address it if its a black and white claim.

If you are not happy with the employers response then lodge a claim with the employment tribunal. Maybe if there is a union at the workplace they can help with it also.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-tribunals/make-a-claim

Take a look at the ONS website. I think you will find you are wrong.

Taking on the biggest water company in the country ain't an easy task even with union backing. I did it a few years ago. Not something that I would relish now.