blowers

bob

I detest hedge cutting with arb firms, I used to do a bit when I was head gardener in an Oxford college.

I could do a bit, have a rest, do a bit more, rake up, do a little bit more, have a cup of tea, do a little bit more, have a pimms.

And this would go on for a week.

But commercially with an arb firm a similar sized hedge would need to be done in 2 days of solid cutting, I understand why to, to be commercially viable and make a profit.

I'd find it very hard to go back to the yard and say to the boss its going to take me a week as I need to stop and rest every 15 minutes.

I've worked with firms who've found a way round it, mainly by tackling big jobs on mass sending all guys in there so you can rotate cutting/tidying.

Not all firms have that flexability.

I've moved on a lot, my health is important to me, if I don't like the way a company works i'll try to approach them, if they don't like it I go, i'm a hard worker, reliably and with a good skill set.

And I intend to work into my 40's and not be f@cked.

You don't have to hurt yourself to be productive.

Fingers crossed where i'm at now is the right place.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry mate, but i think you must be living in a different time scale!

Your attitude reminds me of the many years i spent working in agriculture, where the attitude from employers was generally "If you dont like it f**k off"

Those days are gone my friend, and what you may find is, if any of your employees do decide to sue you in the future, they have very strong powers behind them.

Please dont take any of the comments on here personally, I believe everyone,as i am, are just trying to make you realise what responsabilities employers have.

I'm just trying to think of ANY company I've worked for, over the years, whatever trade, who honestly gave a damn about the health of employees, except when it cost THEM money. Maybe the ideal scenario is to comply with the letter of the law, but tbh I havent seen it yet. Yes, we're still in the dark ages, for all the paperwork and legislation. And yes the "if you dont like it, **** off" attitude is alive and kicking.

I have always resented HSE,with all there legislation,treating us all like irresponsible children,i had always hoped that we were ALL already taking proper precautions to protect our health and safety and that of those around us.I know i have.

It seems i was wrong and i can NOW see where the HSE are coming from and what they have to contend with.

Its just a shame that it has led to so much paper work,so that the responsible majority can prove they are doing what they have always done:thumbsdown:

A large part of HSE's purpose is to provide and keep jobs in that sector. My aunt is head of H&S at Gloucester County Council and even she will tell you the same.

Sorry mate, but i think you must be living in a different time scale!

Your attitude reminds me of the many years i spent working in agriculture, where the attitude from employers was generally "If you dont like it f**k off"

Those days are gone my friend, and what you may find is, if any of your employees do decide to sue you in the future, they have very strong powers behind them.

Please dont take any of the comments on here personally, I believe everyone,as i am, are just trying to make you realise what responsabilities employers have.

I haven't really got the 'f**k off if you don't like it' attitude with my staff, but don't kid yourself - plenty have. If you really believe that those days are gone you are very naive!

I see from the end of Feb the H&S in the Suffolk area are having a purge on 3 things:

1) Work at height

2)Good site order

3) slips trips and falls

I quote "we are specifically targetting Ipswich towards the end of this month (Feb) There will be 6 inspectors in and around Ipswich........apparently I'm picky, I'm a woman"

Be warned!!

I haven't really got the 'f**k off if you don't like it' attitude with my staff, but don't kid yourself - plenty have. If you really believe that those days are gone you are very naive!

All we can do is share opinions, experience and views on here, whether any of us take any notice, learn from it, or not, is entirely upto the individuals reading.

Please dont be offended by people trying to give genuine advice, we all, at the end of the day do not want to get into a situation we could regret in the future.