Passed my CS31 today

Littletree

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how did u find it, i heard they have changed it, dunno if it has happened yet, how did u find the hung up tree?? but well done mate

Hi I believe the change over happens in Jan for anyone taking the test after then but I may be wrong .

It went OK . It did take me a good old long time to do it . I did not rush and made every move very carefully so the examiner could see everything I doing in sequence .

.First I had to hang up the tree with a straight fell that went well and I landed it where it needed to go .

Getting it down went great I had to sever some of the hinge and then roll it out . then snedd and cut to size . The next cut was was a slit level cut this was scary bit as its not my strong point and I was worried. The assor was great about it and put me at ease..

After spending some time eying up my tree I set to it and it turned out OK not perfect by any means but OK for the test so was really pleased that both cuts were now done and out of the way .

Then it was more snedding and crosscutting and boy there was plenty of it on these trees I really enjoy snedding so that part was good fun .

. The questions were asked as we went along so that made it easier as it related to each task .

I would say the CS31 is a nicer test to do then 30 as there are less questions its more of a doing test they want to see you are safe with your saw on any given site and can do the felling cuts OK .

Karen :001_smile:

Well done! congratulations, it's a killer but worth it, only passed mine 2 weeks ago. Got my 38 in November.

Thats really cool well done its a lovly feeling for days after . :biggrin:

I am also doing my 38 in Jan so I had better start leaning the assessment schedual now . :biggrin:

karen

Thanks Karen, yes you're right, it's a great feeling! I don't think i'v felt that good since i passed my driving test! I don't know about you but i thought you can be left a little exposed if the tutor you have before your assessment dos'nt completely cover everything in detail. The night before my assessment i found myself scouring Youtube for a split level cut because i just happened to notice it in the cs 30/31 schedule and realised we had barely covered it. Also on the day of my assessment i was asked to do a dog tooth cut which was something we had only refered to as our tutor focused more on the danish cut. My advice to anyone taking these courses would be to scour the schedule over and over and if you feel something has'nt been covered then ask!

Yes it does seem that different instructors do different things both were very different in there teaching style but the felling cuts taught were similar .

The last instructor was just brilliant he had a real nice way with him he was able to help me to lean and gave really good encouragement as I went along , you could tell he really enjoyed what he does for living and had a smile on his face ,this makes a very big difference when the person is training you new skills . He showed me a new way of holding my saw to get a better split level as I was having big problems with it .

I took down a big ,thick, bushy , hairy Lelandi today . I did the split level as it was a backward leaner it worked and went the right way so really pleased good old split level :thumbup::thumbup:

Good work fella, keep pushing on and get as many tickets as you can, especially if its funded

I will keep going and work my sox off at it . I really want to do well I want to get 38/39 under my saddle . Sadly I have not seen a penny funding so far I have gone down all the paths to find it but no luck as yet .

When I get a job with a company soon it will all be so so worth it as this is what I want to do with the rest of my life . .

Thanks Karen :biggrin: