Stihl MS 150 chainsaw problems?

I have the little MS150 saw that I don't use very often. I reserve it for detail work only as it is small and lightweight. It is out of the warranty period now although I haven't had it very long. One day it just refused to start. It caused my local repairers a few headaches until they found that both the ignition coil and the flywheel had broken on it. Further enquiries by the guys at the workshop found this is a common fault with these saws. I am annoyed to have bought this saw and run into these problems and wonder why they continue to sell this saw if its a 'common fault'?

Have any of you guys had these problems with this saw?

Carrie

There was an issue with the flywheels not being torqued down enough. Yours has probably spun and clouted the coil damaging both or the coil has come undone and clouted the flywheel.

These new flywheels don't take the torque the older ones used to and reckon Stihl just undercooked the factory settings.

I have worked on many and the flywheel nuts have been fairly loose on some of them!

Hi why dont you give sthil uk a ring ,they may be willing to do something to help got to be worth a go the worst that they can say is no

Cheers Mark

Thanks for the suggestion Mark. It was a young chap who has just set up a mower business and has a contract with Stihl among others, who took on the repair. I figure he would have contacted them for help if that was a way to go. I was very lucky. His Dad wanted to buy one of my carvings and so we traded the repair in exchange. Still wish I hadn't bought the saw in the first place though.

Thanks for all the responses.

Carrie