Sub contracting for company owners.

adbat234

I agree totally with skyhuck. :thumbup:

if your only taking in approx 2grands worth of tree work a year why buy a chipper rather than insurance: i know what i would want first.

I know this doesnt answer your initial question but....

as i said in the first post you need your insurances, you should have your compliances for your own sake and the sake of the guys that in this instance it appears you are effectively employing to do the job. (other employment issues will come into play depending on earnings etc)

:thumbup1:it is good that they have the correct ppe and tickets (compliances in this area means paper work for regular checks of ppe and saws or loler for climbing gear etc)

those of us that are legit spend a lot of time and money ticking all the boxes in order to be legit, and hopefully make money as a result of it: unfortunately your gonna recieve the rants as your the kind of out-fit we all gripe about when we lose work to a gypsie firm.:thumbdown:

It doesn't do our industry any good to not follow regulations and it effects the lives of the people who work in it.

on a business management side of things: if compliance with regulations for your own welfare means you cant make the business financially viable then surely its a non starter (tickets or no tickets)?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you got any quotes for insurance? as it seems you have came up with a figure out of thin air, i just got mine renewed and it was no where near £1500 infact if i never took the cover for my tools it would have been £560 and thats 10million E/L and 5million P/L thats about a £10 a week, i agree with the other posts there is no excuse for having no insurance as you will spend a tenner most weeks on food out the bakers/corner shop.( apart from shreky but thats another point :001_tt2:)

But its up to you mate but i would start phoning all the insurance companies and see what you get, mine was from arbinsure advertised on this site, get covered mate or dont its your choice, the posts on here are only offering an opinion and advice but the combined years of experience of the guys offering advice will be in the hundreds so its a knowledgeable resource.

All the best with what ever you decide to do,but i would strongly advise to get your insurance sorted.

Robert

I was in a similar position when i started adbat234 ie insurance it's expensive,but i knew i needed it!So we started the policy,it was hard for a start but the premium comes down as the years go on(provided no claims obviously).And the work increases enough to cover it.I don't think about it now and that's 5 years.Now we are doing work for companies which ask for copies.So no insurance,no work,SIMPLE.:001_smile:

If you are properly subbing your work out then you defininitly dont need to worry about their tax or insurance, Thats their responsibility. You give them the job details and everything is upto the other company owner as far as im aware.

I'd disagree there, you have a duty of care to fulfill. That means that you need to ensure that anybody you subcontract to fulfills their obligations. This is why doing work for bigger companies involves so much paperwork. It is them fullfilling their obligations, and arse covering. If you know they are not insured, or paying tax and ni then you can be asked to cover the tax by the inland revenue.

R

I'd disagree there, you have a duty of care to fulfill. That means that you need to ensure that anybody you subcontract to fulfills their obligations. This is why doing work for bigger companies involves so much paperwork. It is them fullfilling their obligations, and arse covering. If you know they are not insured, or paying tax and ni then you can be asked to cover the tax by the inland revenue.

R

Hmmm not sure about the last bit, a proper subbie doesnt by law as far as I know have to submit his books to whoever he is subbing for, therefore the company has no responsibility to check it out or be liable.

Thats why they brought the cis in on sites but I think this has been dropped since we havent been asked to provide our cis cards for years now.

I maybe wrong there. CIS Still happens but it can be one of the easiest fiddles out there, if your on 40% tax then all of a sudden your labourers become better off and they give you a drink, after all there's 18% extra that can be shared out.

Whenever I've tendered for bigger contracts, or maybe been accepted I've been asked to provide my tax info, normally the simplest way is a vat reg number.

Think it's more if you know the person is not registered that they would sting you.

R