LA Railways ect

samarb

I have worked on the rail for Martins and Fountains and the cost of all the rules regs and health and safety must be horrendous from what ive seen. The sheer volume of paperwork that has to be spot on or you CANNOT go on site is mind boggling. I never did understand how any of the companies made any money in such a complex operation. Utility arb is another area if you havnt been there allready. I have also done this and the bollocks is much much less that goes with it. Good luck.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Martins have been chucked off after a nasty incident involving a train and a tracked chipper !.

I'd much prefer to work for Tillhill over Fountains, Fountains owed me over 30k for 9 months.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It must truly suck to be owed large amounts for work done. This topic came up in conversation just yesterday, with a person who deals with multi-million pound contracts in telecommunications. Its why the economy is is the state its in, big business with-holding payments and the little man suffers.

Buzz, one thing we discussed was the relevance of staged payments for larger contracts, after all if the contractors wish to employ someone, then they must make it attractive, rather than making them sweat for the money for 4months, or in your case 9. Dot know if this is worth considering, is something you already do?

Who - the debtor or the creditor?

The creditor!!, the debtor must think its great!!

I would insist on staged payments, if they said no I would just go work for someone else.

These company's only behave this way because contractors ALLOW them too.

By allowing a situation like that to develop you are basically handing the keys to your business too them :thumbdown:

Thats not for me thanks :001_smile:

The job in question was a large landscaping job. We were only on it for 3 weeks.

Luckily I had invoice finance running so the bank did the pestering not me. I got paid 75% of the balance within 10 days of completion.

Worth bearing in mind if your pursuing work with the bigger clients.

Stage payments is the way forwards and is what I do now for jobs longer than 2 weeks.

SSTS - To tender for Network Rail contracts you will also have to be Linkup approved which is a minefield in itself. You'll need a dedicated member of staff for pricing, and probably a dedicated member of staff for administration.. it's a nightmare and it's what keeps the little guys little and the big guys big.

Deffinatley sub-contract your way in, there are lots of big companies doing rail work, Tilhill, Fountains, Carilion, Trac, QTS to name a few.

As already mentioned you will need a COSS as well as all your H & S in place, you'll need up to date LOLER inspections and all the T's crossed and I's dotted.

Personally I found my experience of rail work to be good work, not enough money, and lots of messing around and a phenomenal ammount of red tape.

Network rail have recently cut all thier budgets so it's not the mine of work it used to be and that's why we're not on the track at the moment but hope it goes well for you if that's what you decide to do.

LA work is cut-throat as well - but may be more up your street, contact your local councils and ask about getting on the list.