Lucas milling

muttley9050

Only this one from early on. The pile obviously grew alot bigger than This.

Lovely work James!

Had the customer a project in mind? Were there other dimensions?

Plenty of sawdust for the hamsters!

My other thought was that since it was in the middle of a built up area, were you not worried about bits of metal, chains, wire within or do you have a good metal detector?

Edited by Billhook

Lovely work James!

Had the customer a project in mind? Were there other dimensions?

Plenty of sawdust for the hamsters!

My other thought was that since it was in the middle of a built up area, were you not worried about bits of metal, chains, wire within or do you have a good metal detector?

Cut lots of dimensions. The big stic was lovely and clean so we cut that into mostly 1 1/4 and some 2"boards. Some of the other bits weren't so good so they became 4x4 and 8x4 sleepers for a garden project.

Wrecked 2 blades that day hitting metal so 10 teeth to replace. I re tip the blades myself so not too bad. I give the customer one free blade and charge £7 a tooth after that.

I cannot remember whether you said that you made your own jig for retipping as you thought the Lucas one was too much money.

Did I hopefully suggest that you put a video on youtube of the process when you have a little time to spare................

"Time to spare " he says, "You must be joking!"

Need to tip some blades now as I only have one left so I will make a video and create a youtube account. I'm no David bailey though.

I have just bought some different teeth and am going to try a different method of braising so we will see how that goes.

I did make my own jig yes. I will get some shots of that in the video.

Will probably be next weekend before I get a chance though.

Need to tip some blades now as I only have one left so I will make a video and create a youtube account. I'm no David bailey though.

I have just bought some different teeth and am going to try a different method of braising so we will see how that goes.

Excellent, I will look forward to seeing it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've bought a load of tips from TC Solutions, a helpful guy. I'm making a jig as the lucas genuine one is for 6.1mm teeth whereas the tcs ones are 7mm and won't fit. You said you are using oxy propane to braze. Does it heat enough for the tip size or would oxy propylene (acetylene alternative), be the best choice? There seems to be quite a debate regarding what gas to use for brazing.

Looking forward to seeing your vid when its produced.

Shaun