Sub £1000 ride on mower?

phil123

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, on Sunday I had a 500 mile round trip to Devon from Kent to go and pick up my John Deere mower! Its a very long way for a mower I know but it was definitely worth every mile, not only was the mowers condition 10X better than I had imagined, but dealing with Barrie from Garden Kit was nothing other than a pleasure!

He had obviously spent a while cleaning it up ready for me as it was sat there gleaming looking like a brand new machine! Not only this but he spent precious time talking me through every part of the machine, including demonstrating how to fit and remove the mower deck, and offering advice on the best way to repair it too.

Once I had loaded up and strapped it down he came back out from his workshop with an original owners manual and spare key!!

I just wanted to write a little something on here as I feel someone that takes pride in what they do and provides an exceptional service like Barrie did deserves some recognition.

I would not hesitate to purchase anything from Garden Kit again in the future despite the drive, I know I will be buying something worth traveling for!

Phil.:biggrin:

Edited by phil123

So, on Sunday I had a 500 mile round trip to Devon from Kent to go and pick up my John Deere mower! Its a very long way for a mower I know but it was definitely worth every mile, not only was the mowers condition 10X better than I had imagined, but dealing with Barrie from Garden Kit was nothing other than a pleasure!

He had obviously spent a while cleaning it up ready for me as it was sat there gleaming looking like a brand new machine! Not only this but he spent precious time talking me through every part of the machine, including demonstrating how to fit and remove the mower deck, and offering advice on the best way to repair it too.

Once I had loaded up and strapped it down he came back out from his workshop with an original owners manual and spare key!!

I just wanted to write a little something on here as I feel someone that takes pride in what they do and provides an exceptional service like Barrie did deserves some recognition.

I would not hesitate to purchase anything from Garden Kit again in the future despite the drive, I know I will be buying something worth traveling for!

Phil.:biggrin:

It was a pleasure to do business with yourself and your good lady, Phil.

Be sure to post some pics of the mower when you have patched the deck.

And thanks for the positive comments.:blushing:

if you didn't have or want to pay for welding, it may be possible to bodge a serviceable repair using a pop rivet gun to put the patch on, if there is room for the rivet above

Not a daft idea, but one which I tried many years ago and gave up on, because most widely available rivets are aluminium which corrodes rapidly when in contact with the acids in deck gunge. In a remarkably short time the patch will lift and get caught in rotating bits.

Welding, or bolting are really the only options other than a new deck shell.

Not a daft idea, but one which I tried many years ago and gave up on, because most widely available rivets are aluminium which corrodes rapidly when in contact with the acids in deck gunge. In a remarkably short time the patch will lift and get caught in rotating bits.

Welding, or bolting are really the only options other than a new deck shell.

Aint tin worm a wonderful thing Barrie:001_rolleyes:!! Are the JD decks made out of a reasonable thickness of steel. Neglect is not much help between maintenance I'm sure, but how about you Coast living lot and the salt in the air? any chance that is helping things in the wrong direction .

Aint tin worm a wonderful thing Barrie:001_rolleyes:!! Are the JD decks made out of a reasonable thickness of steel. Neglect is not much help between maintenance I'm sure, but how about you Coast living lot and the salt in the air? any chance that is helping things in the wrong direction .

JD decks are amongst the best, and as you go up the JD range the decks just get better and better.

The one in question is the entry range X100 and has lasted 12 years before perforating which is pretty good going for decks in the coastal belt where salt can be carried several miles inshore on storm winds.

Fertiliser is even worse, and those customers who use the 'greenfum' operatives do seem to have the rustiest mowers.