Am i mad?????

samtheman365

ok i dont really totally understand what you mean...its a 70hp tractor, theres only 1 pto attachment point

Sorry steve, perhaps complicated things, most tractors now have ability to run pto speeds 540 and 1000. most tractors were made with this in the 1970`s onwards.

There are many different ways of achieving it, some have two shafts at the rear(spinning at different speeds), some have one that is changeable(change to different No. of splines, also attaches in a different place inside), also some have a lever inside the cab that you move into a different gear(keeping the same shaft).

However you get the 1000rpm speed on the shaft, with a little maths, you should be able to work out the speed you run the engine to get 540rpm's in that gear.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are running a 70 hp tractor on a 15hp requirement, it should turn it easily, even at less than half the standard speed for 540rpm.

If the hyd pump is still in good condition it also should still run at full pressure at around 1100 engine rpm.

Therefore, all saving fuel:thumbup1:

Hi all im new to this site

ive decided to start up a firewood buisness mainly doing hardwood logs and im going to try and do it properly

ive ordered a hakki pilke 1x37 easy any advise would be welcome

not too sure what tractor to use to run the processor

well.where are you gona get dry logs at this time of year..?????

Going to try and do it properly,well i reckon you are 10 months too late matey...

Quality supplier of fresh sizzeling logs.

what part of the country are you in.

have you and everybody else on here read the code of firewood suppliers and or consumers guide ??????

Buying Firewood: A buyers guide to buying logs and firewood

ok i dont really totally understand what you mean...its a 70hp tractor, theres only 1 pto attachment point

Sorry for opening a can of worms but if we get to the bottom of it will help alot of people on here.

I have an international which has two pto shafts coming out the back. I also have a jd 2140 which does not. But I think you change the entire shaft which then spins at 1000 rpm.

By running an over sized tractor at 1100 rpm on the engine you use much less fuel and make less noise. But unless you use the tractor hard occaisonally you will eventually glaze the engine. So if you do 40 hrs of processing an hr pulling a loaded trailer on the road will sort it.

Dont put the processor on running at 1000 pto speed it will kill it. Also dont forget and blip the throttle or move tractor with pto engaged.

If I processfor 8 hrs a day I dont check the fuel gauge for days let alone fill it up.

Steve, I run my 1x37 on a john deere at 1000rpm on a 540 pto shaft. There is a lever in the cab to enable me to use it like that and when i engage the pto, i run the engine at approx 1150 revs and that gives me 540 pto speed. The fuel guage hardly ever moves.

Samtheman, you are mad, but good luck and join the club:thumbup: