Question for Monkeyd

Saw-sick Steve

Was listening to' Gardeners Question Time' (:blushing:) in the truck the other afternoon, and they had a query about Honey fungus. Apparently its not that robust, and easily out competed by other , not so damaging, fungi.

Taking advantage of this weakness, apparently some Foresters are now adding fungal spores of these competitor fungi to their chain oil in order to limit the spread of Honey fungus.

They didn't elaborate, but i was intrigued. As you seem to be the boards resident fungal expert, i wondered if you could shed any light on this, or even tried it yerself?

Cheers in advance.

Please don't confuse my ammateur myco-fumblings with anything resembling real knowledge.

At best I am an observasionist, occasionally I remember a thing or two.

I was however only reading this morning (whilst trying to Id some old fungi or other) about how Hypholoma fasiculare - (Sulphur tuft) has the ability to out compete Armilaria sp.

We've not been involved in any trials, but may give it some thought.

Also improving the host Trees vitality (getting shot of bugs etc....) would be beneficial in helping to turn back an onslaught of Hf.

Maybe Tony or Andrew would care to add some science?

Edited by Monkey-D

Please don't confuse my ammateur myco-fumblings with anything resembling real knowledge.

Sir, you are too modest!

Maybe Tony or Andrew would care to add some science?

Is that me? Schwarze refers to Trichoderma spp. spore wound paint in his latest book.

The idea is to infect the wound with a less damaging decay organism to prevent a worse one infecting it. Bit like a flu jab.

I hadn't heard of the foresters doing that - theory would appear sound. Don't harvester heads have a built in urea spray to control Heterobasidion?

IMO Armillaria isn't really a problem in woodlands though is it? Its a recycler.

Don't knock you're own worth. In over 25 years of working with/for/alongside Conservation organisations, its inevitably the enthusiastic amateurs who know more (sometimes vastly more) than the so-called ''professionals''.