Ways in to Arboriculture from scratch.

Tim

Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to say what a great forum this is, with so much good advice from people who seem to genuinely love what they are doing.

Let me introduce myself, my name is Tim, I'm 25 and I have chosen to embark on a career in Arboriculture. I have a bit of a background in landscape gardening, having worked with my brother in London seasonally for the last 4 years or so. I have also worked in our local woodland, coppicing and clearing rides over the last few winters, so I know the basics of using a chainsaw, and am no stranger to hard work!

My interest in Arboriculture and tree surgery comes from combining my love of working in the outdoors, with a keen habit / addiction to rock climbing. I have always loved trees, and I am interested particularly in the ecology and sustainability side of arb work. Oh an I also have a degree in film, but that's on hold for a while!

I am writing this post because I would really appreciate some good advice from the pros!... you. I have done some research, and know that there are qualifications that you need (ncpt tickets), and qualifications that would be a very good idea to have if you want to stay in the career once you come to the end of your climbing days (which I do) (I think)

S the big question is, What would you advise being the best route in? I am working part time for a good local tree surgeon at the moment which I love, so I would definitely like to continue to get the practical experience like that. I am thinking of a ABC Lvl 2 cert in Arb that my local college (Hadlow) does part time (one evening a week) for 2 years but I would definately like to do a much more in depth course at some point.

To put another twist in it, I don't really think I can afford to take a full year or 2 out to do a NC or ND as we are expecting our first child (due 4 days ago) :proud:

Perhaps the online foundation degree at Myerscough?

Well thanks for reading all of this, and I really appreciate any suggestions you guys have.

Cheers for now,

Tim

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to the forum lads

listen, watch & ask questions from those involved in the practical side of the industry, gain as much knowledge & experience as you can, then look to develop your academic quals, ABc/myerscough distance learning are excellent

beaware that nearly everyone to whom you speak will be the definative authority on Arb, we are all very quick to big ourselves up (its part of the job i'm affraid).

take on board as much info as you can, then cut your own way through it

Lantra/Nptc certs are in this day & age a prerequisite &

also a base for your ability to be developed from ( bear in mind these are a certificate of competence not of excellence & will require much further practical application to enhance your skill

ALL the best & I look forward to talking with you

on this and many other subjects via the forums

rgds

Iain

Hi Mr Bish and Yorkshireman, and thanks for the sound advice, I will keep you all posted on which direction I chose to go in, but I agree entirely when you say that qualifications are only a start, and there is always more you can learn through actually doing it.

Mr Bish, unless I am wrong, the beauty in the online courses is that you don't have to live anywhere near, and you can fit the around your schedule, so can work at the same time. heres the link: http://www.myerscough.ac.uk/?page=courseinfo-online-arboriculture

I think I may well do the ABC lvl 2 RFS for 2 years part time, to hopefully lead in to the technicians cert online at myerscough. I am just hoping that a ND Arb or NC Arb are not prerequisites these days. It is a little confusing!

I am fairly new to this game myself, having done a ND a few years ago. In my area there are very few people who have done ND or NC, I dont know how that reflects over the rest of the country. I was in the fortunate position of having a well paid wife so 2 years out wasnt too much of a problem. The NPTC courses are not cheap, but all trainers and assessors I have come across are helpful, and you may learn more than just the core sylabus. You could see if your current employer would help with costs, it is to their benefit afterall. I am also looking for further qualifications, but find I am learning lots of practical stuff at the moment having just found a full time climbers post (previously doing sporadic tree work for a landscape firm).

Tim - Welcome!

The Level 2 cert arb is a very good place to start.

I would also consolidate your current practical experience by completing the CS30 NPTC Ticket and maybe the CS38 if you can afford to do both at present (with a little one on the horizon)??

This will mean that you can support a climber and do the ground work. Your rock climbing experience will also stand you in good stead if you go for the CS38 Ticket.

I hope this is of help!

Hello Tim I'm South London based, just to let you know there are a quite a few other trainers Kent/London way as well as Hadlow depending on where you are, Nothing wrong with Hadlow though, but if you need to know any of the others give us a call during work hours and I'll dig out there phone numbers.