Husq 550xp Dud

Mellish

I would say that the saw has an underlying fault that has caused the issue rather than Aspen ! it cant compensate for a saw with a fault ..

Went and picked it up. The exhaust manifold is off and I can see scratching on the piston - see photo.

The repair shop think either incorrect fuel or "an air leak" which somehow causes lack of compression and rubbing.

If fuel is such a big issue - and it does indeed seem to be - should not Aspen have a very large use-by-date on the front? I bought the Aspen about six months ago, used it in Oct-Nov, and tried again when I got the machine back in Feb.

MTs9wQK

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went and picked it up. The exhaust manifold is off and I can see scratching on the piston - see photo.

The repair shop think either incorrect fuel or "an air leak" which somehow causes lack of compression and rubbing.

If fuel is such a big issue - and it does indeed seem to be - should not Aspen have a very large use-by-date on the front? I bought the Aspen about six months ago, used it in Oct-Nov, and tried again when I got the machine back in Feb.

MTs9wQK

Very unlikely to be a fault with the Aspen IMO. More likely to be a fault with the saw causing a lean mixture (air/fuel, not the oil in the fuel), whether an air leak or incorrect carb settings. If you are looking for a new saw, there are good alternatives to Stihl and Husky. :001_smile:

Hi Mellish,

Sorry to hear about the problems with your saw, had you been using normal pump fuel it would be very easy for your dealer to point the blame on your fuel mix but as you were using Aspen (assuming Aspen 2 with oil (orange can)) This should lead them to look elsewhere.

Allthough Aspen 2 with full range technology oil is the best fuel/oil mix available on the market, it cannot compensate for a faulty machine.

Have faith in Husqvarna, they make great products and their warranty department should take care of you especially if they know it was run on Aspen! It doesn't sound like your dealer has brought the case to them IMO.

Maybe your dealer doesnt know what Aspen is as he is pointing the blame potentially to a fuel mixture problem, it could be worth showing him the manual where it states that it is the reccomended fuel for that saw.

In case you dont have your manual, it can be downloaded here Husqvarna Chainsaws 550 XP®

Good luck

MTs9wQK

Hi Mellish,

Maybe your dealer doesnt know what Aspen is as he is pointing the blame potentially to a fuel mixture problem, it could be worth showing him the manual where it states that it is the reccomended fuel for that saw.

In case you dont have your manual, it can be downloaded here Husqvarna Chainsaws 550 XP®

Good luck

Like your style. :001_smile:

I know that this may seem a strange thing to do, but I would find out the name and email address of their CEO (it will be on their website), and send a message to him / her if you get no joy from any of the conventional approaches to fix the saw.

You just need to provide as much info as possible (serial number, date of purchase, location of purchase etc etc). I would mention how disappointed you are in the quality of the product, and leave it to them to come back with options to rectify the issue.

Good Luck

...... I would think carefully how to word the bit where you say 'The mix that I used was only two years old - and I gave it a good shake.' :lol:

More seriously, I think the shop are a little disinterested. How much investigative work have they really done? A peek through the exhaust port might show you a scored piston, but still doesn't tell how it got like that.

I don't see how you can even think about the problem being the Aspen, given the history of the saw.

MTs9wQK

Aspen has a shelf life of 5 years , or should i say the container it is in has a 5 year shelf life , Pump fuel here in Argyll is going "off" after a matter of weeks .

If your repair shop "Think" it means they do not know or do not know how to test a machine correctly for faults , this leads us back to your first problem , did they "Think" they had corrected the original fault or did they check the saw over correctly and diagnose the problem ??

After reading your other thread, it seems the issues started after using old fuel, and after that you tried aspen?

The problem there - at least so I was told after I took it in and it was repaired - was the hot start fix. I bought some Aspen 2 as well then, but I didn't really think fuel was the core issue. At the time it was new fuel and I shake it well. That said, who knows when the compression issue started: the dealer, when it left their shop said all was fine. I worked it for about half and hour on Aspen and then it wouldn't start. I don't think it was the Aspen - unless it is old Aspen, for does not Aspen also age? So does not Aspen need a big use-by-date on the front? Or does it not age?

Anyway, the dealer, when they said it was probably a fuel or air issue was referring to typical causes. As they not specify exactly which, it was clearly not an exact diagnosis.

So 'm none the wiser.