single status

bob

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry ed all council employees in the country have had to have there jobs and wages re assessed which is called single status all for equal rights and all that stuff obviosly wont be doing a lot tomorrow wages are garanteed for a period whilst they try to re work it but if anyone remembers my list of qualifications i wont be taking a pay cut ill be away

I'm sorry but I still don't get it..

Basically, when best value came in councils had to up productivity to be competitive. One thing they did was introduce a bonus scheme, which is still in force. Nowadays though the bonus is pretty much a standard part of the wage, fixed at 45%.

So the basic wage for most council jobs is about £12k, with the bonus up to about £17.

All well and good, but many of the jobs traditionally held by women, cleaners, dinnerladies, ect, were never paid bonus. Their argument is that this constitutes sexual discrimination, therefore a review of all council wages was ordered, to clean up any anomalies.

There are still the same number of people to be paid, and the same amount of money to pay them with, so under the new system most people will take a paycut, and some will get a payrise.

Basically, the result will be that in some LAs arborists will be paid the same as dinnerladies. Go figure.

Apologies Bob if i have any of the details wrong here!

Basically, when best value came in councils had to up productivity to be competitive. One thing they did was introduce a bonus scheme, which is still in force. Nowadays though the bonus is pretty much a standard part of the wage, fixed at 45%.

So the basic wage for most council jobs is about £12k, with the bonus up to about £17.

All well and good, but many of the jobs traditionally held by women, cleaners, dinnerladies, ect, were never paid bonus. Their argument is that this constitutes sexual discrimination, therefore a review of all council wages was ordered, to clean up any anomalies.

There are still the same number of people to be paid, and the same amount of money to pay them with, so under the new system most people will take a paycut, and some will get a payrise.

Basically, the result will be that in some LAs arborists will be paid the same as dinnerladies. Go figure.

Apologies Bob if i have any of the details wrong here!

Cheers mate I now get it, typical goverment balls up!

I was talking to some guys from Brum City not long back and it seemed totally unfair that hard working skilled technicians who quite often did work they were not obliged, trained or paid to do have been reduced to taking industrial action because the goal posts are going to be moved. If the DLO puts the work out to contract then quite often the costs actually go up. But the council often see this as "best value"

cheers for explaining that peter its all unfair we have a tractor and a hgv but i have been graded less than a grounds maintenaice tractor driver in fact if i went pushing a mower i would be 2 grades higher

the best one we have heard of is a manual road sweeper is graded higher than a gulley wagon driver or a hgv bin wagon driver

but hopefully will all get sorted out at appeal even the head of service is bemused and backing our appeal