372XP on .063?

Arbtech Tree Services

Evening all,

Did a quick search first but no joy.

In an effort to not buy an entire reel of chain for one saw, I've ordered an adapter to run Stihl bars on the 372. Currently running 18" as it doesn't really like the 24", but having said that I don't know whether that's because 24" is pushing it for this saw (i personally think it is) or the fact that it was a special order .063 bar.

Reckoning best bet would be 20" Sugi.

So at 20" is there going to be a noticeable difference between .058 and .063? After all that's the reason the 346 and 550 are running .050.

Regards,

Steve.

With Stihl chain there is zero difference between .063 and .058, with Oregon there may be a slight one (.058 cuts a narrower kerf).

The bar or the gauge isn't the reason if a 372xp doesn't pull a 24" chain satisfactory (for most people) - the most likely reasons are a badly tuned saw or a dull chain.

Edited by SawTroll

Thanks for the valued responses guys.

A reason for my (possibly unfair) dislike of the 372 @ 24" is that I run the same chain on it as the 660 @ 25" (same no. of drive links) and they're not the same machine by any stroke.

The 372 is a stonking saw @ 18".

The reason I mentioned that I'm running 75LPX is that I didn't know if it might be relevant, sounds like there might be a difference in kerf width between the manufacturers.

Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the valued responses guys.

A reason for my (possibly unfair) dislike of the 372 @ 24" is that I run the same chain on it as the 660 @ 25" (same no. of drive links) and they're not the same machine by any stroke.

The 372 is a stonking saw @ 18".

The reason I mentioned that I'm running 75LPX is that I didn't know if it might be relevant, sounds like there might be a difference in kerf width between the manufacturers.

Regards,

Steve.

It is about the thickness of the upper part of the drivers, and the resulting kerf width.

With Stihl chain it is .063 in .050, .058 and .063 - with Oregon it is .063 in .063, and .058 in .050 and .058. This is true with regular chain in 3/8" and .325, but it isn't a big deal in practical (work) cutting.

Any difference in cutter width (by design, or because the cutters are filed back) is another factor.

It is about the thickness of the upper part of the drivers, and the resulting kerf width.

With Stihl chain it is .063 in .050, .058 and .063 - with Oregon it is .063 in .063, and .058 in .050 and .058. This is true with regular chain in 3/8" and .325, but it isn't a big deal in practical (work) cutting.

Any difference in cutter width (by design, or because the cutters are filed back) is another factor.

Thanks SawTroll, a mine of information as ever.

Got the micrometer out today as I realised that I had an unused 73LPX kicking about.

So, 73LPX (3/8 .058) and 75LPX (3/8 .063) differ only in drive link thickness. The tie straps and cutters are identical. Therefore the amount of wood being cut is a channel .005" wider moving up to the thicker gauge.

So one sharpen and difference gone.

Don't think i'll beat myself up on this one - Husky will be sporting a new Sugi bar in Stihl format (with +1mm drilled out adjuster holes) and run on 75LPX off the same reel as the Stihls.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Regards,

Steve.