Cherry tree in decline

Richard 1234

If I could predict that i'd be a millionaire!!

In reality it could stand like that for years to come

Ok silly question then😁

A customer of mine asked me as its on the edge of his property and if and when it fails it could either end up in his garden or in the road.

Thanks

What would help is an overview shot of the whole tree. It looks from the little you can see as though there are some substantial branches on the fence side - if there are none facing the other way then it would probably go where the weight is.

If you need to reduce it, bear in mind that cherries don't like being pruned while not in leaf as they have a tendency to contract silverleaf. April to August is a good bet.

I have seen orchard trees with worse damage than this standing indefinitely, but they are pretty much monoliths with some small branches only.

Alec

What would help is an overview shot of the whole tree. It looks from the little you can see as though there are some substantial branches on the fence side - if there are none facing the other way then it would probably go where the weight is.

If you need to reduce it, bear in mind that cherries don't like being pruned while not in leaf as they have a tendency to contract silverleaf. April to August is a good bet.

I have seen orchard trees with worse damage than this standing indefinitely, but they are pretty much monoliths with some small branches only.

Alec

Thanks agg221 I will get a better picture next time I'm passing and post it up.

It's part of a long line of them one or 2 were replaced some years ago due to similar problems so I'm told.

Not even sure we can do anything too them as they are on the council verge.

The chap just wanted some opinions on it that's all.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that's 50/50. It doesn't look too out of balance from the photo so could go either way but if it fails above the lowest branch then it will definitely go onto the road.

I took a large cherry down years ago over power lines and a minor road. When we felled the stem I told my groundsman I bet there is a hole in its ass as it smelt rotten whilst i was dismantling it. There was about an inch to a inch and a half holding it up. It was full of mush!. The tree was healthy apart from a couple of dead limbs and a bunch of old prunning cuts. No honey fungus or brackets could be seen and when i hit it. It sounded alright. So I don't trust them that much so in my opinion I would have it down for safety and plant a new one.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

I would say that's 50/50. It doesn't look too out of balance from the photo so could go either way but if it fails above the lowest branch then it will definitely go onto the road.

I took a large cherry down years ago over power lines and a minor road. When we felled the stem I told my groundsman I bet there is a hole in its ass as it smelt rotten whilst i was dismantling it. There was about an inch to a inch and a half holding it up. It was full of mush!. The tree was healthy apart from a couple of dead limbs and a bunch of old prunning cuts. No honey fungus or brackets could be seen and when i hit it. It sounded alright. So I don't trust them that much so in my opinion I would have it down for safety and plant a new one.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Thanks. My thought was to cut it down but that's more because I really don't know so it's better safe than sorry!!

Thanks for your reply