What does it take to lead a crew?

Grüße

Don't let them smoke dope at work.

Well said. I've lost my rag with people for being stoned and lazy at work. And they thought I was joking until I took them aside and explained that if I have an accident up the tree and they're to stoned to think fast and deal with it quickly enough that would be on there head. Never had a day with that problem since.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A willingness to personally perform whatever task is making them nervous or uncooperative.

Night contracts during storms with rocks and boulders washing down onto your road clearance work site, closed to traffic.

When your bucket operators threaten mutiny before operating in such conditions?

You hop in that bucket, take it over center and set it down right next to them, then politely request they hang tough and get back to work.

This of course only applies to contracts where failure to finish results in fines and progressively larger monetary penalties for each day the work goes unfinished.

Most every state highway contract contain such clauses. The reason state licensed contractors must be bonded.

It can be like night time jungle warfare at times when deadlines n storms collide IME.

Jomoco

Lead by example, make it clear what you want done but always be open to a better way to do it if a member of staff suggests it, always tell them what they are doing right first not what they are doing wrong, positive reinforcement is an important tool.

good luck.:thumbup1:

If you're "a bit daunted" by it, my guess would be that you're probably not ready. Are the other guys more experienced? If so, I'd imagine it will be near impossible to lead them. 18 months isn't a lot really. If my boss put someone with 18 months experience in charge of me, I'd be asking some serious questions.

Oh, but good luck. :)

I believe internet connectivity among climbing arborists will result in far more than just better tools and techniques enhancing our safety and production capacity.

There's something about a fully equipped 4X4 tooltruck chock full of sharp saws, rigging gear, industrial medkits, backboards and pneumatic arm n leg splints, and of course, modern communications gear.

Every journeyman arborist that's equipped this way and ready to rock night or day?

I've always thought the ISA was a quasi Union taking baby steps rather than nice long strides.

Jomoco