fb-Klemmknoten

Gorkde

I do not know the english name for the "fb-klemmknoten" but it is wrapped around the rope and there is a part of it seperated with a knot where you put the other end through.

See here:

FB-Bandklemmknoten.jpg

Since I have those loops with me all the time to use in some cases I would like to know why the small part is done with a knot before wrapping around the rope and the other end is fed through.

Is there any risk involved when the knot is done without this separation? I can`t see any risk, is there one I do not see? Please help, thanks!

Without the knot its a klemheist like Rich says. With the knott it is similar to a helical hitch but tied with a dynama sling.

Hitches tied with slings as shown in your picture are only suitible for ascent and will burn through if you descend on them. Rock climbers use them for emergancy ascents.

Friction hitch cord is much more durable and more suitable for tree work.

I normally only use them for fixation of rolls on brances or such and want to use it e.g. in emergency situations with the Klemmheist for pulleys or such (maybe I need to mention I do only recreational treeclimbing no arborist work).

Before I had some with the FB knot tied in but then you can ONLY use them for that so i removed it to be able use them generally.

For normal climbing I use friction hitch cord with Distel knot.

--------------------------

Btw. I bought this type of loop cause I read they are Dyneema enhanced ones (with other material) and I knew dyneema has a low melting point.

Now I looked it up and can not find it anymore, so I will do a burn through test next days since I have one to much anyway ;=)

But for abseiling in an emergency I habe Prussik loop and a Chinch as well - just in case :001_smile:

Edited by Gorkde

the reason for the knot where the stitch is is because this isolates the stitching which is the strongest part of the sling and means that as long as you are loading through the knot then you will always load on the stitch, as above though not a good idea to climb on but can be used for different applications in climbing.

hope it helps.

• 4 months later...

Hello

The history of the fb Klemmknoten, told by the inventor himself.

You might only be able to enjoy the pics.

http://www.bergundsteigen.at/file.php/archiv/2005/3/56-60%20(der%20fb-klemmknoten).pdf

The myth says when Franz Bachmann, showed his knot to Karl Prusik, he was not very happy. The FB gives a good grip at frozen mountainering lines, the Prusik never gave a good performance in that application.

If you find an advantage for the FB Karabinerklemmknoten, never use the carabiner as a handle!

There exist some more developed forms, published by Heinz Prohaska

They are the very very best choice, if you handle thin ropes or/and heavy loads.

I might get some pics for you...