I'm Getting Too Old For This

Dean Lofthouse

So at what point do we retire?

I'm 43 and although I still work as good as I ever did and climb as good, there are a few niggles, and aches appearing.

I have even wondered how long I have got left climbing, I don't or wouldn't want to be climbing big trees at fifty. I think when I get to fifty I will start to pick and choose my jobs and go more into firewood production.

How many grandads have we got out there?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm 45 now, and haven't climbed for about 3 years. It was the combination of LOLER and the insurance hike that stopped me climbing, because it just wasn't worth it where I was living. Now insurance is better, and prices seem to be a bit higher, I'm not tempted back into aerial work because I am starting to feel middle aged now. If I went back, I'm sure I'd get tired of it pretty quickly. I enjoyed a lot of the climbing I did, but I also remember the pain in the ar$e jobs that seemed to go wronger and wronger as the day wore on.

I think 40 is a bit of a turning point for a lot of people. I know a fair few who reach that age, then take on a younger climber and concentrate on running the business, or pack it completely for a desk job.

a few years ago, while a student i did the pole climb atb newark show. it was my first time on spikes and it took me about 5 mins for the 25 metres, i dont mind admitting i was well knackered when i got to the top. there was a guy competing who was in his early 70s i think, and it took him 45 seconds, not only that but he was a really nice bloke too. when the other climbers had gone, he hung around to encourage me to the top. (i wasnt competing by the way, just fancied a go!). this was about five years ago, so i was in my early 30s. I am now coming up to 38 and have only just started climbing full time so please dont put me off by talking about getting old!!!!!

Well fella's I'm 49 on the 26th of this month ....so don't forget my pressies:proud:.

I attended a City & Guilds course (Merrist Wood) at the young age of 40 when Jack Kenyon was there.

Prior to that I had 22 years in the Royal Marines mostly climbing and skiing in a mountain and arctic warfare unit.

This contributed towards my hips being replaced at the age of 41. I still climb about 50% of the jobs I do...... ....and always do the dodgy ones.

IT'S BETTER TO BURN OUT - THAN TO FADE AWAY