Non payment help

Andymacp

I agree on contacting Head Office but I would not give them any time as you have already been reasonable enough.

As this would be the first time the problem has been escalated, the court will expect you to have been reasonable in allowing head office a sensible (but fixed) time for them to conduct their internal investigation; they will need to seek the version of events as seen from the hotel before making any decision.

Should they ask for a reasonable extension to the time you set for a response, this should normally be accepted also.

If the court is going to be the final arbitrator there is no point in going off half cocked after all this time (no matter how frustrating it might be)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a member of the Federation Of Small Business (FSB). Part of the membership is free access to a legal team. They have been fantastic in helping to resolve this type of issue in the past. The other benefits available are also very worth while.

I do hope that you can get this resolved, but do remember to keep calm and hold your nerve. All the very best & keep us updated on the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As this would be the first time the problem has been escalated, the court will expect you to have been reasonable in allowing head office a sensible (but fixed) time for them to conduct their internal investigation; they will need to seek the version of events as seen from the hotel before making any decision.

Should they ask for a reasonable extension to the time you set for a response, this should normally be accepted also.

If the court is going to be the final arbitrator there is no point in going off half cocked after all this time (no matter how frustrating it might be)

You wouldn't be going off half cocked. It would be reasonable to expect that the manager of the branch would be keeping head office appraised of day to day developments at their hotel, particularly something out of the ordinary like this. The OP is dealing with a chain of hotels via their area representative. My point is that head office are more likely to pay more attention if they have a pressing need to do so. :001_smile:

I would never do anything Un -gentlemanly, just the way I've been brought up to behave. As tempting as it is I wouldn't go off on one it would look as bad on me as it would on them, same as bad mouthing on social media just looks petty.

Defiantly wouldn't dump the wood back on the door step, very tempting but it would just invoke the police and the papers which again would be as bad for me. (Small town).

A tactic for getting meetings which works for me.

Ring from a number they won't know and ask to speak to the relevant person. When you get put through, rather than asking 'can I come and see you tomorrow?' ask 'I need to come and discuss this with you, when is convenient for you?' If you get comment about 'I'll get back to you' then politely state that 'since you're at your desk' (you know this because you got put through to them) 'and I have my diary, lets set a date and time now while it's in both our minds, as otherwise it might get overlooked'.

I find the above to have a very high success rate.

Alec

The old 'I'm not leaving/finishing this call until I get an answer' tactic. That's my approach on payment collection. "I'll Bac it", "so I can expect it in our account on Monday?"

People dislike it but it means that every answer is definitive. If the payment isn't in the bank on the said day, the next conversation is a on a different level. They said they would do something and haven't so they're immediately on the back foot.

I wouldn't have accepted I'm too busy today/tomorrow, if this person honestly can't find the time, the next step would to ask who to contact up the chain of command. I suspect that question would soon result in some availability to meet.

Good luck, the jobs hard enough without chasing for payment

Edited by Gary Prentice

Do not underestimate the importance placed on a good social media image.

Ask on Facebook, tripadviser, twitter (#name of business that owes you money), Linked in, Streetwise subbie if anyone else is having payment problems (or even better is anyone aware they are in financial trouble).

We had this with a mid sized construction company. One tweet (to a small number of followers) and the following day they contact me saying payment coming. Could be just timing, but they had never called me back before.

• 3 months later...

Just to round this off nicely, I sent a letter that a friend at trading standards drafted. It has some interesting bits. One was about how disappointed we were that a company of such standing in the community ( the hotel) would risk a bad reputation by failing to pay a small local company.

The other suggested we would take an ad out in the paper declaring that the hotel must be bankrupt because it is unable to pay its bills.

We got paid within 2 days.!!

Result !!

Just to round this off nicely, I sent a letter that a friend at trading standards drafted. It has some interesting bits. One was about how disappointed we were that a company of such standing in the community ( the hotel) would risk a bad reputation by failing to pay a small local company.

The other suggested we would take an ad out in the paper declaring that the hotel must be bankrupt because it is unable to pay its bills.

We got paid within 2 days.!!

Result !!

Brilliant!!