craning robinas

colemanjessenz

Your release cuts seem to work well enough Jesse.

But is there method to your technique?

When I'm releasing large trunk picks with no nearby targets?

I aim my cut toward the crane's kingpin, almost like a felling cut with no hinge, but the same pattern.

What's your method mate?

Jomoco

Your release cuts seem to work well enough Jesse.

But is there method to your technique?

When I'm releasing large trunk picks with no nearby targets?

I aim my cut toward the crane's kingpin, almost like a felling cut with no hinge, but the same pattern.

What's your method mate?

Jomoco

Hey jomoco , it depends on the piece and how it's going to react , if there is going to be a bit of twisting I will try and use the bark to slow the movement etc .... But in general I cut towards the tension and read the cut as I go ..... I load the crane about 100 or 200 kgs less then I think the bit weighs and then if I'm off I can tell as I'm cutting and will adjust the pre tension as I go. Most of its by feel and I don't have a cut I use every time.

Awesome. What's it like working with a crane. Is it fun cutting off those big chunks :) I suppose communication is paramount; are you linked to the operator via radio or is it all hand signals?

Its an aspect of the job i do enjoy. communication is defiantly key , i do mostly hand signals if in sight of the crane driver (i find it easier then explaining in german) if I'm not in direct line of sight then i will have a groundsman in direct com with the crane driver.

Hey jomoco , it depends on the piece and how it's going to react , if there is going to be a bit of twisting I will try and use the bark to slow the movement etc .... But in general I cut towards the tension and read the cut as I go ..... I load the crane about 100 or 200 kgs less then I think the bit weighs and then if I'm off I can tell as I'm cutting and will adjust the pre tension as I go. Most of its by feel and I don't have a cut I use every time.

I'm a big believer in technique and method applying at all times Jesse, particularly craning large trunk picks with a medium saw.

Nothing more embarrassing than a stuck/pinched saw when the whole operation's waitin on you to get unstuck and cutting again!

I'm a pusher when it comes trunk release cuts, cutting with the top of my bar, right about head level. From a clock face perspective looking down, with the crane's kingpin location at six o'clock, one continuous cut starts with my back to the crane starting at three o'clock walking it past Six and up to nine and 12 o clock till I'm facing the crane as I reach three o'clock for a smooth bind free release almost every time.

Works well for me at any rate cuz I'm on of those cowards that use lightweight medium saws with twenty inch bars to cut three foot diameter crane picks!

Nice vid and pickin mate, very smooth and controlled.

Jomoco

I'm a big believer in technique and method applying at all times Jesse, particularly craning large trunk picks with a medium saw.

Nothing more embarrassing than a stuck/pinched saw when the whole operation's waitin on you to get unstuck and cutting again!

I'm a pusher when it comes trunk release cuts, cutting with the top of my bar, right about head level. From a clock face perspective looking down, with the crane's kingpin location at six o'clock, one continuous cut starts with my back to the crane starting at three o'clock walking it past Six and up to nine and 12 o clock till I'm facing the crane as I reach three o'clock for a smooth bind free release almost every time.

Works well for me at any rate cuz I'm on of those cowards that use lightweight medium saws with twenty inch bars to cut three foot diameter crane picks!

Nice vid and pickin mate, very smooth and controlled.

Jomoco

thanks jomoco , its very rare that i get my saw stuck but i know what you are saying . I use release cuts in certain situations as it is best practise,but i always aim to have the least amount of movement in the crane and sometimes its helpful to use the natural dampening of the tree.

nice to hear about your methodology , and cheers for the kind works :thumbup1: