Looking for advice on a medium saw

Oldstyle

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well yes, my pal is perfectly happy with his & there are a few other positive posts here, its a case of horses for courses so if you dont expect too much of it then Im sure it would be fine, although the Dolmar 420 seems to be a very nice saw for the money.

N

N do you need some photos or the specs sheet too refresh your memory :lol::lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Anybody use a ms231 16 inch bar had that recommended buy the dealer.

I have had the ms231 with 16" bar and have felled some quite large trees with it as well as general logging/ firewood. It has been a cracking little saw and it has done a lot of work over the last few years and has never given a problem. A very reliable saw. It is a little miserly (like many stihls) on chain oil but keep the bar groove/ oil hole clean and it is not an issue. I find the 16" bar (whatever saw you decide to use) to be an excellent all rounder.

I have had the ms231 with 16" bar and have felled some quite large trees with it as well as general logging/ firewood. It has been a cracking little saw and it has done a lot of work over the last few years and has never given a problem. A very reliable saw. It is a little miserly (like many stihls) on chain oil but keep the bar groove/ oil hole clean and it is not an issue. I find the 16" bar (whatever saw you decide to use) to be an excellent all rounder.

As a further thought these saws sometimes come the Tungsten Carbide chain as a standard fit - replace with the conventional chain imho. Also the tool - less chain tensioner is available as an option - which has not given any problems but just adds cost and weight and makes flipping the bar over to even out wear a little more time comsuming. I would go for the standard bar nut option.

As a further thought these saws sometimes come the Tungsten Carbide chain as a standard fit - replace with the conventional chain imho. Also the tool - less chain tensioner is available as an option - which has not given any problems but just adds cost and weight and makes flipping the bar over to even out wear a little more time comsuming. I would go for the standard bar nut option.

Im no fan of the tool-less chain tensioner, it made it difficult to get the tension correct & as stated complicates flipping the bar - my 250 had it but I converted it to 2 studs.

A 231 is not much of a leg up from your current saw, Id be looking around 50 - 60 cc.

N