oval krabs on hitch climber

karl1991

Thanks gents,

Also, how do you go about setting up a second prussic to tend the slack in the system? So I can take the slack in hand over hand rather than 3/4 thrusts hold weight then tend slack if that makes sense? friend of mine uses some throwline prussic loop and a tool clip? What happens when you need to unclip when moving anchor to advance higher in the tree?

Thanks

Thanks gents,

Also, how do you go about setting up a second prussic to tend the slack in the system? So I can take the slack in hand over hand rather than 3/4 thrusts hold weight then tend slack if that makes sense? friend of mine uses some throwline prussic loop and a tool clip? What happens when you need to unclip when moving anchor to advance higher in the tree?

Thanks

If im understanding you right,when you use the HC system you are ascending and after 3 or 4 pulls you have to hold your bodyweight to pull the slack through the hitch and pulley.

Its actually easier to attach a prussik loop to the bridge on your harness and on to the caribiner on the pulley.

This means you are underneath the hitch and slack will be self tending.There are many threads on this system and other variations just look up hitch climber on the thread search.

Good luck stay safe

Thanks gents,

Thanks

You could use the 'O' Rig, thats what I'm using at present but rather than running through the central D ring on my harness I'm running through a DMM Revolver.

ClimbingArborist.com?Advanced climbing techniques

r-mac-albums-chainsaws-picture7943-dsc-1338-copy.jpg

My set up with my old rope which didn't have a spliced eye. I use a prussik loop made from paracord and a small accessory carabiner to advance the friction hitch.

To advance the rope I

un-clip the paracord prussik leaving the prussik on the rope

open the Ultra O carabiner

remove the eye splice take it out of the DMM Revolver and clip the ultra O to my harness to secure it until I can get the rope higher.

Once I have re positioned the rope I pass it

through the DMM Revolver

unclip the Ultra O from my harness and attach the eye splice to the Ultra O

re attach the paracord prussik to the mini carabiner on the hitch climber

Hope that makes sense, it's easier to do than to write about (thankfully) :001_smile:

You could use the 'O' Rig, thats what I'm using at present but rather than running through the central D ring on my harness I'm running through a DMM Revolver.

ClimbingArborist.com?Advanced climbing techniques

r-mac-albums-chainsaws-picture7943-dsc-1338-copy.jpg

My set up with my old rope which didn't have a spliced eye. I use a prussik loop made from paracord and a small accessory carabiner to advance the friction hitch.

To advance the rope I

un-clip the paracord prussik leaving the prussik on the rope

open the Ultra O carabiner

remove the eye splice take it out of the DMM Revolver and clip the ultra O to my harness to secure it until I can get the rope higher.

Once I have re positioned the rope I pass it

through the DMM Revolver

unclip the Ultra O from my harness and attach the eye splice to the Ultra O

re attach the paracord prussik to the mini carabiner on the hitch climber

Hope that makes sense, it's easier to do than to write about (thankfully) :001_smile:

Got you.

What was originally throwing me out was the termination knot. But obviously makes sense to me now I've mentally replaced it with a spliced eye.

What about this; Advanced climbing techniques | Prusik hitch with slack tender any views? I can give this a go at home tomorrow with the pulley off my lanyard rather than fork out on HC setup etc

Thanks

I haven't tried that but it looks essentially the same as the O Rig except that with the O Rig you can position the hitch away from you to get maximum amount of the climbing line pulled down towards you for ascending and then as the climbing line is effectively a loop you can slide the paracord prussik towards you and then by pulling down on the Ultra O the friction hitch moves down closer to you for limb walking or descending. Not a lot of difference I would think and to be honest the slack tender /prussik is a lot simpler.

Compare this pic with the one I posted previously, this one has the hitch move up for ascent, the other is down for limb walking/descent.

I should add that I leave the mini carabiner on the pulley when advancing the climbing line, just the paracord prussik stays on the working end of the rope.

r-mac-albums-chainsaws-picture7944-dsc-1340-copy.jpg

Edited by R Mac